Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Provincials And Tokens Good Buys?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 267Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:47 am Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings! I have been interested in Canadian Provincials and some bank tokens for a few years and have some. I am seeking opinions whether provincials and tokens are highly regarded by collectors or just a small niche among collectors? I see them available for sale and usually in lower grades. Any thoughts?

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1154 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not as popular as the main grouping of Canadian coins, but very approachable and affordable to get into, though the $0.05 and $0.10 NB can be quite pricy. I have recently started to collect the provincials and dipping a toe into tokens. It has been quite enjoyable so far.

I don't think it is a question of being well regarded or not, more of how widely collected.
Valued Member
Poland
380 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally love provincials. The issue is that information is closely guarded by token collectors, so to really get into them, you need to find someone willing to share, or spend quite a bit building a decent reference library. As was mentioned, they don't find as wide a following as Canadian coinage, but I think that they can be far more rewarding with some patience.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18112 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Provincials are an important part of Canadian numismatic history. They saw very extensive circulation.
Perhaps a bit more of an interest for the numistmatist, rather than the coin collector.
Less popularity maybe has something to do with the fact that they are provincial tokens, not Canadian coins.

I wouldn't mind being the proud owner of a British Columbia gold 20 Dollar or 10 Dollar pattern!

Newfie coins I regard as part of the official coinage system (albeit with obvious differences), because they bear regal portraits.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2529 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rarely keep anything over 1858, with the exception of a large cent set, a NFLD type set, and a handful of other key dates in various denominations.

Personally I'm just not intrigued by the repetitive designs of more modern coinage (but hey, to each their own)

There are some serious collectors in this field, but not enough to make the era "highly regarded", but still more than a "small niche".

Enjoy the designs, enjoy the history, and as with any series collect the highest grade you can afford.

I would love to see some pics of what you have.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2529 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Less popularity maybe has something to do with the fact that they are provincial tokens, not Canadian coins

Not wanting to split hairs, but I would argue that the provincials ARE (for the most part) "coins".

Standard weight
Standard design
Denomination
Issued by a recognized authority

Merchant "tokens" on the other hand, while stunning in designs and varieties, are definitely "tokens".
But still responsible for the building of our nation, and probably don't get the respect they deserve.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05