Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 D DDO DDR Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 388Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bigthudson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
2020 nickel with DDO DDR
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! Machine Doubling, as it has a shelf like appearance.
Edited by CJ18850
02/22/2021 12:02 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Note how it reduces the normal size of the devices.

2. The affected areas are always lower than the devices.

3. They are flat and shelf like. If the coin is BU, the when light hits these areas, it creates glare. This will be seen from you angle, but on images it will look something like this:

On this inverted color image, the glare is removed and then we can see the Machine Doubling.
4. Machine Doubling affects the outside edges of devices. A doubled die shows a spread on centers of devices.

5. A doubled die has the doubling on the die. Machine Doubling alters the strike right after it strike is through. Damaging the devices. On a doubled die, the Machine Doubling can also be seen:

Note on this image, the date digits are all hub doubled. Then note the yellow arrows? Note the outside edges of the same areas on all 4 coins are affected in the same direction, but not all exactly the same.
6. Machine Doubling is common and happens a lot more than you seeing hub doubling. So no premium for Machine Doubling, but on a die variety, it doesn't cancel the die variety, it is now just a die variety with Machine Doubling. (Something that die variety collects don't want)

CoopHome: The differences between Machine Doubling and a doubled die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/22/2021 12:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen that particular explanation from you coop. Well explained.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm concentrating on adding the new thread daily to my CoopHome page. So I got into more detail to explain it better. (Sometimes they add that link to the name "Machine doubled") So when you see it turn blue on the words, then it links to be a discussion point.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigthudson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all ,good info
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sgtclough to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That helped alot ! Thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the biggest problem is looking in the wrong areas for a DDR/DDO. The post 2000 coins seem to be struck from dies that have the single squeeze process. What does that mean? The previous years were dies that were hubbed more than once. Sometimes they didn't use the same hub to full fill the 3 or more hub steps in the process. So if they used a different hub, (older/newer) the the alignment of the process created a doubled die. But on the new dies there is only on step to the process. Push the on switch and it was done. If is called the single squeeze process. But what they didn't realize was that the hub started out in a slight not correct position and kissed the new blank. When the full pressure kicks in, the the hub moves into the correct alignment. Thus the kiss and the full press creates a doubled die. You would think that the full press would remove the first kiss. But it doesn't. It remains in the center of the new die. When coins are struck the doubling can be seen on that area of the dies. So on these new dies the hub doubling (Just all done in one squeeze) forms a doubled die in the central areas of the designs. Where for Nickels?

See the center of the 'X'? That is where they are seen:
On the reverses:

On the obverses:

To look in any other area will lead you into looking into the Machine Doubling zone. So save yourself some time. Look in the areas that are showing doubled dies.

CoopHome : How to find doubled dies on the single squeeze nickels.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
03/17/2021 11:16 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 388Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05