Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 LMC - Curious About Color

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 194Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this Cent while roll searching. I found the color to be interesting and was wondering if anyone had an opinion about it. The Obverse and Reverse have an even deep red tone, while the rim of the Coin still has the copper color. Thanks for any input!

I read an old post on here about "homeless coins". Coins that get lost outdoors, buried, get stained. Then found and put back in circulation. I'm guessing it could be one of those.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54600 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good guess. Environmental staining of some sort.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2894 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, exposure to an environmental agent. Not wildly uncommon.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1272 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I read an old post on here about "homeless coins". Coins that get lost outdoors, buried, get stained. Then found and put back in circulation. I'm guessing it could be one of those.

Indeed, 95% copper cents take on a variety of colors when toning. Throw a few in your cupholder in your car and see how they turn after getting spilled with coffee and/or sodas for awhile.
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found a few like that. Fun find, good for conversation.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16857 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a form of toning, fairly common.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20079 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However, you never know for sure. Might well be a plant done by aliens.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's interesting from the photos how even the toning is on both sides and without a point that looks like the main contact point to an external agent.

For those who know more about this, I wonder if this even toning is more likely to occur in a coin that has been in a wrapper for a long time?

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 194Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05