Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello. New Collector From Utah

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 125Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Appletrader1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I thought I'd introduce myself since I'm starting to get more and more into coin collecting and will probably be posting more and more. I inherited a cool coin collection and have been really fascinated by it and have been enjoying learning about the different coins. I'm still trying to get my head around a lot of stuff (like grading, verities etc.) but it's been really fun to get into this. I think the next step for me is that I need to learn the best method to sell individual coins that are duplicates to the collection so I can use the money to fill in the gaps. I have about 200 Morgan dollars and about half of them are duplicates so I'd like to figure out the best way to sell and acquire the these coins if anyone has some advice. Any ways, thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
912 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings from Eagle Mountain! My few inherited pieces have long been among my favorites even though they don't always line up perfect with my personal collection. Enjoy the history and the fingerprints!

As for selling them, learn how to grade and spot damage and cleaned coins. If you have MS or scarce date/mm, know this and sell for the premium you deserve. Otherwise you will only get a sight premium over melt, maybe $30/coin these days.

I've been able to sell at fair prices locally on the KSL with some patience. Plenty of squirmy scammers will waste some of your time, but eventually they will sell. Next best option might be eBay if you can take decent pictures. Selling to a shop is easy, but the ease of service they provide comes at a price.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Edited by Collects82
02/22/2021 4:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5070 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1319 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1220 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

"Collects82" offers some sound helpful advice. You are wise to unload the lower quality duplicates & use the $ to fill in gaps.

Education & learning how to grade are your 1st steps. I've sold most of my original collection on eBay about 16 years ago. Mine wasn't inherited but collected the good ol' fashion way. There's a lot involved so try to get to know eBay (or alt platform) if you choose that way. Try to be as transparent as possible about the coin (full-disclosure) in your LISTING & learn to take well-lit decent photos of each item you sell.

If you sell in-person (like Kijiji) be sure it's one at a time & in a public setting (like a local coffee shop). Set yourself some hard security minded guidelines & don't break (or make exceptions) to these (for a few extra bucks). (You could keep a few other coins in your trunk -but size up the collector first). Remember your safety (& peace of mind) trumps all other factors. Don't advertise your new inheritance.

While selling, get to identify the gaps in your collection & develop a sense of what you wish to acquire. Try for the best grade you can afford, take your time & be open to 2nd opinions. For older more pricey items you might wish to go TPG (Third Party Graded) slabbed coins so you get what you paid for (rather than rely on your grading skills).

I think it's a good custom to set some goals (guidelines) to what exactly you will acquire since this can get way out of hand (expensive & too large if you don't) That's why I recommend you get yourself some decent coin catalogues. There's nothing like a hard copy (which is treasure trove of info) in these & they often help collectors learn about grades, key dates & determine what they're after.

GOOD LUCK
Edited by walk2dwater
02/23/2021 07:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16289 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 125Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05