Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Organize Your World Coin Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 187Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
111 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have heavily considering re-orangizing my 2x2'd world coin collection situated in about 3 2 inch binders. I currently have then sorted alphabetically and plan to organize them by continents.
How do y'all sort yours?

(I may have asked a somewhat similar question before)
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alphabetical, mostly. I have been known to shift some around to minimize open slots. My world coin collection fits in three Dansco 7000 albums (holds twelve 2x2s per page, nine pages).
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18141 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two suggested ways:

If it is a modern World collection that just covers the extent of your Krause catalogs: in the same arrangement as your Krause catalogs.

If it covers the whole of numismatics over the last 2500 years: by order in which the coins were struck. Some may sub group ancient coins by their culture: eg Greek Roman Celtic Parthian Sassanian Chinese ancient Indian Byzantine Islamic etc., in much the same way as countries for modern coins.
Learn More...
Australia
13556 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Organize by continent" has a quandary, which has been raised in a previous thread on the subject: what do you do with countries that straddle across a continental boundary? And for that matter, where do you put the boundaries between, for example, Europe and Asia?

My "main albums" of modern (post-1450) world coins in 2x2s are sorted alphabetically, but my "bulk collections" of different dates, mintmarks etc are in plastic coin album pages, sorted by continent.

My personal criteria for which continent to place a multi-continent country depends on the location of the country's capital city. Turkey, for example, is mostly in Asia, but has a small piece of Europe too. It's capital, however, is Ankara, which is in the Asian part, so I qualify it as an "Asian" country. However, Turkey under the Ottoman Empire had Constantinople as its capital, which is in Europe, so Ottoman Turkey belongs in the European album (a moot point, since I don't have any Ottoman coins in my "bulk" albums, they all go in 2x2s). Moscow, on the other hand, is in the European half of Russia, so Russia (and the Soviet Union, and the Russian Empire before it) are classed as "European" countries.

I typically follow "conventions and norms" in this regard, though I do have a few exceptions. Cyprus, for example, is geographically an "island off the coast of Asia", so I classify it as part of Asia - even though practically everyone else (including the European Union) considers it a part of Europe.

I'll also admit to a certain amount of pragmatism. My "North America" album contains just USA and Canada; the entire rest of the Americas gets merged with Africa into one "Afro-America" album. This is simply because I have a vast amount of coinage from USA and Canada, and (relatively) very few bulk coins from Latin America and Africa.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2539 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to answer your original question:

alphabetically by country,
subset year with smallest denomination first

but there is no real wrong way to organize your collection

when I first started collecting my habits were more like hoarding, and my "collection" accrued about 3500 coins(no 2 the same) from across the globe, all in 2x2s, all in binder pages.

I then thinned out the herd to type sets, followed by another cull down to a simple OFEC (one from each country, total 300)

In doing so it allowed me to focus on quality rather than quantity.

The OFEC hasn't seen an update in years, but lately I've been wanting to start a silver only OFEC (just dont tell my wife).
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1319 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do y'all sort yours?

I go: issuing authority, denomination, year, catalog # for everything that goes in flips. Outside of flips, I have the rest of my world coins which are on cards or boxed up in a plastic bin.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like JBuck I also use a Dansco 7000 to hold 2x2s. My world collection is fairly small so I keep a few coins from specific countries together in their own holders then for the rest I organize generally by Metal --> Size --> Country. So my first page starts with large world silver and ends with small world silver, second page is Cu-Ni and Ni coins large to small, third page is coppers large to small.
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Like JBuck I also use a Dansco 7000 to hold 2x2s.
Excellent!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 187Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05