Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain 1799 Georgius III Date Error With Pictures

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 264Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dimitrip to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings to all.
I recently got this coin and quickly realized the dating was wrong. Upon googling it, it appears to be a 1799 coin, that has the wrong date of 1899 on it. It is heavily worn and beat up. I can't seem to find any other coins with this particular error. Do you guys think this is anything valuable?

Pictures coming

Edited by Dimitrip
02/22/2021 10:44 pm
Valued Member
404 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still see 1799, as it should be. What you are seeing is likely the environmental damage, combined with what might be a circulation hit that makes the date look a bit different in hand. Not an error, but rather PMD.
Edited by norantyki
02/23/2021 01:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8121 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  03:11 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum, dimitrip!

with norantyki - just wear and porosity. Looks like a normal 1799 halfpenny to me.
Edited by NumisRob
02/23/2021 03:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
551 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Clearly dated 1799.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dimitrip to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replys. What confuses me is that if you look up any other of the same coins from 1799,the 7 is entirely different from what resembles a 7 in the above coin.

For example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Brit...174471064138
Valued Member
404 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I previously explained, it has become deformed owing to environmental damage and a circulation hit - copper is a soft metal. This coin is damaged, not unusual, and of little to no value.
Edited by norantyki
02/23/2021 08:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think the other thing to consider is the fact that an 1899 error would be such an unlikely one that to convince any collector to lay out a lot of money, the error digit would have to be very clear. There is a perfectly reasonable explanation in Post-mint damage and that will be the one that any collector would go to rather than the much more unlikely error explanation.
Is it Occam's razor that says you should go with the explanation that requires the least number of unlikely occurrences?
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05