Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Intro And Question On Dipped Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 274Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  03:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add petercoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm a 67 and a retiree with a rediscovery of my childhood coin collection. First, hello to everyone--I hope to be a regular contributor. Second, I have been buying coins from Esty and eBay and have a question on dipped coins...as in, how do you tell when a coin has been dipped.

Now I know you are probably going to say that if it's shiny it's been dipped but I have coins (silver) from the 50's and 60's that look every bit as shinny as when I bought them.

Now the problem is, if this is a problem, is that I have been trying to buy the best coins I can reasonably afford. Now in terms of quality, I've been looking at the back of the coin to see how it compares to the examples on the internet. Now the problem I'm facing is that the closer I buy to uncirculated the shinner the coins seem to be.

From the sparse reading that I've done, the older the coins are the crustier they are. So am I to assume that everything that I've bought has been dipped...I've got BU from 1916 up to 1945 and you need sunglasses to look at the lot.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38825 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. First tip is: stop buying coins on etsy!
Second tip: Buy slabbed coins from PCGS,NGC,ANACS
Third tip: learn grading https://www.PCGS.com/photograde
Use the search box upper left of page for info on dipped coins
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3012 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

You have to make a distinction between shininess and luster. The problem with overdipped silver coins is that while they can look bright and shiny, they can lose their original mint luster. On the other hand, undipped uncirculated coins can range from heavily toned to blast white, but they will retain their mint luster. It sometimes can be hard to tell from Internet photos, but usually easy to tell looking at coins in hand.
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17172 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5073 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3501 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dip is a mild acid. It removes some of the metal. That can leave a bright surface behind, even with a little mint lustre.

Dip it again and there's almost nothing left. Dip it a 3rd time and it's flat.

Improperly neutralize the acid and it will silently sit there eating away at the coin's surface anytime there's a little moisture in the air... turned in the holder is that term.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05