Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Peace Dollars, Luster, And Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Valued Member
Japan
241 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys. I wanted your opinion on luster, and how much it may affect a coin's grade according to TPGs.
I'll use these two Peace dollars as an example:
The graded one has less noticeable dings than the other, but the first has a luster that's pristine, like glass. (The fields to the right of Liberty's hair are actually my skin tone reflected in it).
Would the graders balance that out overall?

Valued Member
Japan
241 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks a lot better in hand. The luster is magnificent, looks PL actually, and kind of feels more 'completed' in that sense. It seems like a waste to knock it down because of dings compared to pieces that don't have this level of luster.. which also become more noticeable because of the luster.
Any thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I know what you mean...but these big coins are so susceptible to dings and chatter that is why when you look at these the price will jump significantly going from MS64 to MS65 and above...
Both nice coins there!
smat
Valued Member
Japan
241 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Smat! I suppose you're right! They wouldn't hold such a high price tag if it wasn't for the dingers. It would be nice if they gave "honorable mentions" for things like luster though&
Edited by Stephen-P
02/28/2021 09:02 am
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncirculated coins can be the most difficult to grade in my opinion. A well circulated coin exhibits patterns of wear that can be fairly accurately judged using PhotoGrade. Uncirculated coins however leave more of a subjective judgement. The most important factor is the surface preservation, judged by the amount and severity of nicks and marks and their locations on the coin. Start with the obverse. On a scale of 1-5 you must judge the surface preservation and multiply that number by 2. write it down. Next consider the strength of strike on a scale from 1-5 and white it down. Then determine the luster the same way and write it down. And overall eye appeal must also be judged on a scale of 1-5. Add up all the observations and compare to the following.

5 to 12.99 = MS60 or proof 60
13 to 13.99 = MS61 or pf61
14-17.49 = MS62 or pf62
17.5-18.99 = Ms63 or pf63
19-20.49 = MS64 or pf64
20.5-21.99 = 65
22-22.99 =66
23-23.99 = 67
24-24.99 = 68
24.5-24.99 = 69
25 = MS70 or pf70

Now do the same procedure to the reverse and admire the results or not.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05