Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Farthing Friday: 1766 William Pitt Farthing NGC AU53 Betts-520, W-8345

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 519Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1766 Pitt Farthing AU53 NGC. Betts-520, W-8345, R.7. The Pitt halfpenny (Betts-519) shows up regularly at auction, but its farthing counterpart is very rare. Recorded as the ninth finest in Christopher McDowell's Condition Census that appears on the Newman Numismatic Portal. McDowell writes: "An argument can be made that it should be placed as high as six or seven on this census." The lightly circulated farthing is remarkably free from contact. Pitt's hair displays moderate wear. The open fields and high points have a brassy gold color, while design recesses are lavender-brown. William Pitt the Elder accomplished the repeal of the Stamp Act in March 1766, which restored commerce across the Atlantic Ocean between England and America. Pitt ascended to the post of Prime Minister in July 1766. Other Pitt medals are listed in Betts, entries 514 through 522, and 524. NGC has certified just seven examples in all grades, with the present piece as the single finest. PCGS shows one finer as AU55 (10/20). Listed on page 52 of the 2021 Guide Book.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series

Check out certified farthings on ebay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8070 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just ridiculously cool!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7118 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin indeed. Many thanks for the sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1561 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Pitt Farthing is also in a way associated with the Revolutionary War, For this reason I consider this coin, (or medalet as some call it), to be a significant historic numismatic item.
This example in my collection is number 14 or 15 in Christopher McDowells Census.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8070 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  03:08 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it to Germanicvs to have an example! Super to see one, (and a top one at that). I'm just starting the trip down into the US Colonial coinage history, which of course includes many other countries, Ireland, UK, France, Spain, Portugal, the Caribbean (Spanish/Dutch), etc. So much to learn and study.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1561 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Leave it to Germanicvs to have an example! Super to see one, (and a top one at that). I'm just starting the trip down into the US Colonial coinage history, which of course includes many other countries, Ireland, UK, France, Spain, Portugal, the Caribbean (Spanish/Dutch), etc. So much to learn and study.

Thank you, westcoin!
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I have a few farthings not as old as yours and in very good condition at least I think so. Can you tell me what they are worth 1921,1933,1936, 1941? Also being you collect world coins can you give any input on the pingin or half penny? Thanks you and sorry for the stupid questions but I'm a newbie
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18568 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting piece of Americana, thanks for the write-up.

Actually, there were four generations of Pitt.
Pitt The Elder, Pitt the Younger, Pitt the Baby, and Pitt the Glint in the Milkman's Eye.

On a more serious note, there numerous place names around Australia that honor the Pitts.
eg Pittwater, a very scenic area to the north of Sydney (named after Lord Sydney), Google Maps refers.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 519Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05