Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have The Following Decimal Coins Been Circulated?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 491Next Topic  
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SturmyRocks101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I am collecting circulated Australian coins. I have been wondering if the following coins have been circulated (as listed on the Australian mint site).
-1983, 84, 85, 88 20 cents
-85 and 93 50 cents
-92 1 dollar

sorry if this has been asked previously.

Thanks in advance,

Sam.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1272 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
604 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community.

I use Numista for cataloguing my coins but it also has information on mintage figures. Quick look at the 20c Elizabeth II 2nd Portrait shows that mintage occurred for both 1983 and 1984 however most were subsequently melted down before release into circulation. To get these you would need to purchase a year set or proof set. Check it out and you'll probably get the answers you are seeking.
Edited by David Graham
02/25/2021 4:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
859 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SturmyRocks101 and to the forum!

As David has said, Numista is a good reference point https://en.numista.com/catalogue/au...australie243
Brismike does a good job in keeping the information both up-to-date and accurate.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
989 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see you are a newbie and don't know but question has been answer many times. Sadly reference site don't normally go into detail.

20c 1985 exist in circulation but extremely rare (better to get a mint set then search), 1988 basically doesn't exist in circulation
1984-1983 melted down (standard)

as for 1985-rare bit does exist in circulation, 1993 more common but harder to find 50c COA

Where as the 1992 $1 MOB, doesn't existence in circulation, and supposedly misplaced by the mint or records where made incorrectly. only one-two sold at auction.
Edited by ryurazu
02/25/2021 11:12 pm
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SturmyRocks101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thank you everyone for the replies and welcome messages! I will certainly check out Numista. Now I can cross off a few coins off the list. Surprised of how many mistakes have been made in the mintage records.

Although I am a newbie, I have collecting circulated Australian and other international coins for a while. I particularly enjoy collecting all of the years of all circulated coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2924 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SturmyRocks101.

Welcome to CCF.

You collect all the years of all circulation coins!
The only way to go. :)

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
648 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
as for 1985-rare bit does exist in circulation, 1993 more common but harder to find 50c COA

Where as the 1992 $1 MOB, doesn't existence in circulation, and supposedly misplaced by the mint or records where made incorrectly. only one-two sold at auction.

Yes,1985/1993 50c do still exist in circulation but are hard to find,especially 1985 as mentioned previously.

Mint Records were held in contempt in the 1960/70's by most Coin experts/reseachers/Journo's,its simmered down these days and hopefully they are more accurate but the bloke who knocked off,undetected, Thousands of $2 Coins from the Canberra Mint in the 1990's doesn't give confidence.
As does the Mickelberg Brothers claims from a similar time period(1980's but still going 30 years later) that there was wholesale corruption at the Perth Mint.
Edited by Basil
02/27/2021 5:16 pm
Valued Member
Australia
105 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Graeme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first note AB11 93 is First release series and worth $30 if UNC (uncirculated) The second note AA is from a folder, if out of folder worth $10, in folder $15 - $20
Valued Member
Australia
131 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

SturmyRocks101 Welcome

The RAM's coin mintage site is, at best, unreliable. Like some other members on this CCF, I've been in direct contact with the RAM many, many times over the last 40, or more, years regarding their annual coin mintage site's figures, but deaf ears prevail.

I've written about this a few times here on the CCF site, and I'll go through it again hoping not to be too boring.

There weren't any coins released into circulation by the RAM for the following years :

20c Platypus : 1983 to 1993 and 1995 - 12 years.

50c C of A : 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992.

Some poor quality 1985 and 1993 50c C of A were issued by the RAM - allegedly 1 million of each. The 1985 50c were especially very ordinary. I went around to a few dealers in Melbourne as soon as the 1985 50c was released by the RAM hoping to get in early for the best quality for usually about $1.50 each, only to find they weren't worth while buying.

There are two types of 1993 50c - the standard 1993 date, the other is where the 1993 date is " fatter " and these can only be found in the 1993 mint sets.

There were also some 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, $1 and $2 not issued for circulation by the RAM, with the 1986 1c and 2c being a bit hit and miss because quite a few of the 1c and 2c in the 1986 mint sets have varying amounts of unsightly black carbon spots on them.

Some of the more senior members on this excellent CCF site who might have been on the mail out list of the RAM from the mid to late 1970's onwards might be able to remember that the order forms the RAM sent out for their new annual issues were always longer than the return envelopes provided by the RAM. The two edges of the RAM order forms had to have a little cut from each edge just so the order form could fit into the RAM's return envelopes.

In one conversation I remember having having with some bright spark at the RAM in the early 1980's, I asked " how many overseas fact finding missions, by how many bureaucrats did it take to determine the design of such a "best practice " order form ? "

The reply by that bright spark ? " Whaa ? Huh ? "

Luckily, there has been some marginal improvements at the RAM since then, except that the annual mintage figures' site is, at best, still unreliable.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
648 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The RAM's coin mintage site is, at best, unreliable. Like some other members on this CCF, I've been in direct contact with the RAM many, many times over the last 40, or more, years regarding their annual coin mintage site's figures, but deaf ears prevail.

Yes,Ram Mintage figures are a guide only especially in the early years,similar to Macca's Book,anyone treating them as fact is misguided I believe.

I picked up a 1985 50c out of circulation on the Gold Coast just before Xmas,so they are out there but usualy in poor condition.
Valued Member
Australia
131 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A further recent mintage dilemma :- the RAM's coin mintage site states that there were only 3.1 million lyrebird 10c minted in 2018. Yet, the usually reliable Renniks issue for 2020 states there were 33.615 million lyrebird 10c minted in 2018 ? I haven't as yet checked if there are any 2018 10c security rolls available out there versus only RAM bags of the coin.
Once any security rolls start being listed for sale for any year or denomination on the once mutually beneficial for both sellers and the provider of the internet sales site, it's a clear indication to me that there are far too many out there for that coin to be a very low mintage.

At least I'm certain that the 1995 and 1996 10c are mint set only coins.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3329 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1985 and 1993 50 cents both exist in circulation. Found a few of both, 1985 being the scarcer one. The rest as others mentioned most likely do not exist in circulation or taken and released from a mint set.

Mintage figure can be questionable. I found quite a few 2019 IRB and JC coins despite the ultra low mintage of 240,000 and 70,000 respectively. Suspecting that they are both missing a zero at the end. Or maybe I have been lucky.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05