Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weight Tolerance For 1972 Philippine One Peso Coin.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 209Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
152 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  01:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add juliusolis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is the weight tolerance for 1972 Philippine one peso coin? I found some coin weighing as high as 14.8 grams and as low as 13.21 grams. Are they within the tolerance limit?

Thank you

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume so, and the Philippines are known to have poor quality control in several cases
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, some questions. Are the coins in question circulated or uncirculated? If circulated, are the lightest coins also the ones with the heaviest amount of wear? Can you measure their thickness? Does it vary from coin to coin?

I would not expect the variances you report to be found on uncirculated coins or with coins exhibiting only minor circulation wear.

I thought I'd be able to give you a definitive "official weight" answer for newly minted coins as a basis for you, but checking a few reputable sources produced a weight range of 14.00 grams (a 1972 report in the American Numismatic Association's The Numismatist magazine) to 15.00 grams (NGC/Krause) with reports of 14.28, 14.30, 14.45 and 14.50 grams in between. This variation surprised me as all of the coins were struck at the US Mint facility in Denver and wide variances wouldn't be expected.

Among your coins, I would question any with a weight of 13.21 grams (or thereabouts) as that seems especially low and outside of standard tolerance limits. Coins in the 14 to 15 gram range, especially if circulated coins, are most likely OK.

Maybe you can post a few images (especially of the 13.21 gram coin)?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/01/2021 6:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add juliusolis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the photos of 1972 Peso coins.
Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the images you've provided, I would say that your coins are genuine, just worn. The low-weight coins show a good deal of circulation wear (i.e., metal loss); the scale readings you are getting are not surprising.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/03/2021 10:41 am
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add juliusolis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only question left is I can not find concrete specific weight where to base the -/+ tolerance for this particular coin year.
Wikipedia listed it at 16 gr, Numista listed it at 14.5 gr, NGC listed it at 15 gr.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only question left is I can not find concrete specific weight where to base the -/+ tolerance for this particular coin year.
Wikipedia listed it at 16 gr, Numista listed it at 14.5 gr, NGC listed it at 15 gr.

Yes, I also found various weights listed for the coin (see above), but, just to be clear, mint tolerances are fairly meaningless once coins get as much circulation wear as your coins have (especialy the first two). The weights of heavily circulated coins will fall outside of official tolerance limits in most cases.

By way of example, the modern US five cent piece (nickel composition) has a specification weight of 5.0 grams. It has a tolerance of 0.194 grams or +/- 3.88%. If you assume a weight of 14.5 grams and a similar tolerance for the Piso, you get a tolerance range of +/- 0.5626 grams. So, any uncirculated coin in the range of 13.9374 to 15.0626 grams would be within tolerance. But, once a nickel experiences heavy circulation wear and metal loss, these tolerance limits are no longer very useful as a perfectly genuine coin could easily fall below the lower limit due to the impact of circulation.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 209Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05