Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can An Ebay Sellers Location Be Faked?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:59 am Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seems like I've run across sellers in the past that have a US location. But lots of their stuff appears to be coming from foreign source. Don't have proof of that, just a feeling I get. Weirdly phrased listings. Lots of misspellings. Coins that look more fake than real. Long shipping times.

I know many phone scammers have found ways to make it look like their call is coming from your area code.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3341 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There certainly is ways to do it. I have seen examples of stuff being sold with USA location, and shipping shows it is coming from China.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3613 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect some sellers have a US location--a presence in the US--but their primary suppliers are foreign. I had one sale cancelled by a US seller a few weeks after paying (a foreign coin), the delivery long overdue. When contacted, the US-based person (in somewhat broken English) indicated that the coin "couldn't be found". Eventually received a refund. I didn't quite feel right purchasing the coin in the fist place. The seller didn't have that much up for sale, and the total number of past sales was in the low three digits. Ended well in that I got the refund. I'll try listening to my gut a little harder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the seller specifies their location, so I assume they can put anything they want if they have a valid address, even a PO Box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1067 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought an item from China (Intentionally because I needed that item), but after the sale the same seller sent me a message if he could send me some of his stock to hold onto then sent it out when he gets a sale - there-by able to say the item he sold shipped from the U.S. at the time of sale.

I had to say no, and reported him to eBay.

Never heard anything else after that..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United States
1516 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course you can. You just have a US address for the account and you can ship from wherever you want.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The largest majority of these sort of sellers are drop shippers. Meaning, they are actually living in the U.S. and registered under their current location, but they are shipping direct from the manufacturer. Think of it as their "warehouse".
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Australia
23 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drowning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is easy to create an account for whatever country you want. Even if the seller is actually in that country, if they are a drop shipper then it will come from China anyway.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05