Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

They Call Me Lovdattcoin, Check What I Found. (1990 P Nickel)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 465Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  3:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need a little confirmation on what I have. It's a 1990p nickel that looks like gold is a part of obverse.

Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some yellowed varnish or glue got on it, or it might have been plated, though with the latter, the reverse would likely show the same effect. The color only seems to be left in the low spots which were protected during circulation. That includes a deep ding on the nose (damage after leaving the mint) that is yellow, which is another clue that the color is from an event after it left the mint.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was on eBay and it's not mine

Learn More...
United States
19160 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ldc, first welcome to CCF. Second, I've moved your thread over to a better section of CCF to get some additional opinions on what might have been added to the surface of this nickel.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks my man, this is my first ever coin website to join. Wasn't sure where to start. I've just viewed videos on YouTube from time to time just to know what to look for in pocket change. Never run across anything really worth trying to figure out till this nickel.No videos at all about the color, just that one ad picture on eBay and then I had to go somewhere to find out what's up even if it's worthless.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is reverse side

Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

you'll find more help and information here than you will on you tube.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With Numiscrat it looks like a beat up coin someone messed with.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the yellow color, that is almost certainly unrelated. Whether intentionally applied or not, the coin you posted from eBay appears "toned"—a consequence of the metal in a coin reacting with other chemicals in its immediate environment over time, which can be desirable to some collectors. That is not the same thing as plating or contamination from a yellowish goo, which almost always decreases value in the eyes of nearly all collectors .

The eBay coin is also of a very different composition, which might allow it to turn those colors. And that coin didn't see much in the way of circulation, either. On the other hand, bright colors on a heavily circulated coin is usually a red flag that someone has intentionally altered a coin's surface.

Collectors will assess the two coins completely differently for multiple reasons.

Just curious. Is the eBay seller trying to claim that they have a nickel with gold content?
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh definitely, soon as I entered this site I could tell it's professional and not interested in dealing with people who bullcrap about what they actually have.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50741 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First clue it is not a gold coin. It wore off the surface of the coin. It is not real gold, it is paint or something else. Not something you can cash in. The only time you can have a gold coin, is if the gold blank was struck with a wrong set of dies:

Then you would have something worth more than the gold it was struck on. But on your coin, it is not a gold coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, at least I know now it's definitely not any gold content. I knew that was a long shot. The eBay coin seller is not advertising as gold nickel, just the color of way it looks but no explanation on how it got that way except that it rainbowed that way. Which if they do you would figure there were some examples and coin pros would have info on why and how.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew mine wasn't rainbowed that's why I had to find out cause mine looks different and sure was shiney where the color is.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got ya,. I wasn't sure how coins wore down over time or how different contents were minted. I appreciate the info for learning this. I wonder if someone purposely did this to the coin, never will know that but maybe if y'all can identify what substance is on it that could tell definitely tell us more.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know the coins worthless and not worth researching. I won't be disappointed about not wasting the time.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Luvdattcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please tell me I got a black beauty. Maybe?

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05