Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Numismatic Chastity Query

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 361Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
238 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  09:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Assume, please, the following: a coin was minted in 1959 (year randomly chosen; coin denomination left to the discretion of my responder). Assume it circulated until say..., 1963 when a collector now long lost, viewed it to grade close to 40, and so sealed it in a cardboard 2x2, believing, wrongly, that over time it would accrue adequate added value to cover his/her rescue effort.

Set aside, please, for purposes here, the fact that these 58 years later, a coin collector might like to have what's left of it after further circulation for an album. I query, what arguments would support putting such a coin back into circulation where it will surely degrade at best, disintegrate at worst? What counter-arguments to more circulation, if any, rise in a numismatist's thoughts?

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16940 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There shouldn't be any counter arguments, this is a very common coin, especially in EF-40. Unless it has some sort of sentimental value it's worth exactly 1 cent.

I've tossed mint state examples of 1959's (they were pretty ugly) back into circulation. My main motive, besides cleaning my coin area, is to hope someone finds it in the their change and takes an interesting in coin collecting.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3299 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've done the same, I had a large collection of wheat cents that were cleaned, I used them as change until they were gone. If anyone saved them they have a pretty cleaned Wheat cent.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I penned
Quote:
coin denomination left to the discretion of my responder

You both took me at my word, focusing squarely on the 1959 LWC.

Quote:
Unless it has some sort of sentimental value it's worth exactly 1 cent.

Quote:
I've done the same, I had a large collection of wheat cents that were cleaned...,

I muse that if this is done often enough in the next 60 years, a no longer common EF-40 LWC from 1959 will gain value.

I assume you both could and would as easily substitute a '59 Jefferson into your response. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I cannot divine a 1959 silver which lacks added value, so I'll wander here in desperation.

I'll adopt the chosen denomination but mess with it a bit, if you'll allow. What I'm attempting to accomplish is to get a bearing on the mind of some devout numismatists. Bearing in mind that nothing of the sort has been minted since 2013 or is likely to ever be minted again (too costly!) would it alter your responses if it were a 1959 Canadian penny? Or would you act with the same lack of hesitation?

Kevin

Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My response is that of BadThad. Set it free.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My response is that of BadThad. Set it free.

@Ballyhoo, I perceive a vast chasm between my question and @BadThad's response. A question begins as a quest. @BadThad's response is to a quest I'm not on. With no hesitation, I accept blame for the discrepancy.

I'm unable to pick the fruit of your kind response because I cannot confidently assign your response to either quest. I could very easily if I could know what noun you held in mind when you employed the pronoun "it." Are you making reference to a specific coin (as does @Badthad)?

Regardless, please accept my gratitude for your time spent on my behalf.

Kevin

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05