Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 V Nickel No Cents And The Words E Pluribus Unum At Top Of The Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 386Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  1:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Danno86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am completely 100% confused with this coin! It is an 1883 V nickel with no cents. But what really confuses me is that the words E Pluribus Unum are at the top of the coin and the space at the bottom where the word (CENTS) should be is blank? I can't find any information about this whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's an error or if some of the nickels were produced like this? Please help my mind is blown lol!!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1669 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's either one heck of a Greaser or somebody removed the word CENTS.
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3055 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is safe to say this coin has been altered
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1883 when these coins were first issued they did no have cents on them.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me correct myself. If this was an 1883 NO Cents the e pluribus unum would be on the bottom (variety 1).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55923 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say altered as well.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danno86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off thank you all for the welcoming and the thoughts!! I had first thought the coin was altered and then when I finally received the coin I put it under the magnifier and I cant see any signs of grinding, scraping or any other things that would look suspicious. It almost looks like it was struck that way?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3055 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is something going on there. I Do Not think it was struck that way
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very likely the CENTS was filed or sanded off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4226 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and then circulation wear removed all signs of the process...that's why you don't see any signs of it

to CCF....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add archstanton65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Danno,

By Some strange coincidence, I too possess the exact same coin.

I think there is more to this than some random alteration to the same 2 coins.

Is their historical documented proof to back up the claims that these have been alter then randomly allowed to circulate, and also perhaps a valid explanation as to how and why this occurred?

Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Altered or not, I love seeing anything from the 19th century!
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05