Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885 Liberty Nickel Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 187Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Help grading 1885 Liberty nickel. Having some issues with pictures as it looks better to the eye than in the picture.
First two take with a usb microscope and the last two take with iphone. Thanks for any input.

Scope pics:

Iphone pics:

Learn More...
United States
18966 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pcm, are you sure that this coin was minted in 1885? I'm concerned about the extensive scratches around the date and the difference in shape between the two number 8s.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56078 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Altered date, just a cull with no value (above face) except as a curiosity.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1699 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that date is shooting up red flags "BEWARE".
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9484 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That second 8 is all wrong. Tooled date.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea I was worried about that. this is something from my great grandfather's collection. was going through the Liberty nickel book and found this. so far this is the only coin that was raised any questions. The pictures arent doing it any favors but to the eye the second 8 does look ....off. which is why I'm here because I still dont trust my judgement.
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without looking at other responses, id say G-4 details with some corrosion. If I were to buy this, even in this rough shape, id buy it for about 100.00 bucks due to the key date status.
Edit, if this a retooled/altered date, then it to me becomes a nearly worthless curiosity, in which it ma very well be.
Edited by mrwhatisit
03/01/2021 9:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an altered 1895 to me. Cull, no grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 187Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05