Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Wheat Penny With Different Colored Metal, Error Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 220Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Higginsjosh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this 1944 Wheat penny in my car's change holder. The back side has a metal that looks like lead on it at the top and right side, and the copper color appears to be wearing off to reveal the same metal on the center and left of the coin and on the top edge. It is not magnetic at all. I can't find anything similar online. Has anyone seen this before? What donyou think it is? Any value? I can send more photos if needed.

Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My guess would be solder on a heavily damaged coin.

Worth about $.01. If you play your cards right, you might get up to $.04 for it.
Learn More...
United States
18923 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@higgin, first welcome to CCF. Second, it looks to me like this coin has ben damaged in two ways: first, someone tried to cut into it with wire cutters and second, someone drizzled solder on it. Depending on how old that solder is, it might very well contain at least some lead. Neither of those are mint errors though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
someone drizzled solder on it.

Yup! That was my first thought..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damaged (cut) and solder, a details coin just worth face basically.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1676 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you play your cards right, you might get up to $.04 for it.

I don't think even Criss Angel could make that one into a 4¢ coin
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
5432 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all of the above. Looks like solder to me too.

to the CCF!

ça va bien aller

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Higginsjosh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help!!
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05