Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Those Shiny Coins Could Slip Through

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 629Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  9:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I read an article on a coin website that stated some circulated coins that are not scratched up can be considered as uncirculated coins. Is that a true statement? (By the way, I hope I have thr correct forum)
Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not that I want to say this, but I've been told that yes, circulated coins can turn into uncirculated coins.
I NEVER label any of my 'found' coins any higher than AU, but was told by some on this site that even if a coin has been in several peoples' pockets as change from purchases that they never become circulated. Like I said, I personally don't believe/follow that train of thought, but have been told before my opinion is wrong.
Edited by atticguy
03/02/2021 10:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncirculated is a condition and yes you can get uncirculated condition coins in circulation. Also, I have seen some really crappy "uncirculated" coins in mint sealed packaging that look worse than coins found in circulation
Learn More...
Australia
13587 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Uncirculated", the condition, refers to the absence of visible wear. It is of course possible, if the people handling it handle it carefully, for a coin to "circulate" and remain Uncirculated.

Scratches, dents, bagmarks and such like are not considered "wear", as they can readily occur as part of the minting process; as such they can be present on an Uncirculated coin. Even fingerprints, if they are clear and not smudged, do not disqualify a coin from being Uncirculated. It's the smudged fingerprint, the "rub", that drags a coin down from MS to AU.

I do tend to agree with atticguy, however; if a coin is being handled by non-collectors in the normal business of a financial transaction or two, this is likely to generate sufficient wear to drop a coin down to AU. Thus, a truly Uncirculated coin find in change is a rarity.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38596 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a grade uncirculated is MS60. PlumCrazy814 nailed it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15085 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a grade uncirculated is MS60.

Now John has opened up a can of worms with this comment .
Lets keep the arguments down to a fair level . I for one always have known that an uncirculated coin should be free of finger prints , minute bag marks ( not circulation marks )..
Whenever I find a new year Lincoln Cent in circ as nice as it looks ,I keep it as a CH-AU . The coin will have to be a gem with no issues at all ,come straight out of an OBW roll and into my hands . Then I will label it MS .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question... So it's ok for some of the coins pulled from BU rolls to be called uncirculated Like I see on Ebay with the W quarters and ATB Quarters? I've been wondering about that. I mark my coins as BU in the understanding this coin when presented is circulated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does that mean if you also pull a impaired proof from coin hunting rolls and has no scratches they can claim it as such? These are nice finds, but never the less are impaired. I wouldn't think that applies to impaired proofs right?
Pillar of the Community
United States
504 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldnt apply to the proof coin sorry
Pillar of the Community
United States
3689 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always a fun debate. Now and then while going through rolls I'll come across a pristine specimen--very pristine. A few weeks ago I found a 1987 P Memorial cent in a customer wrapped roll. Comparing it with what one finds on the PCGS website, the coin appears to be a strong MS65++. It may have been a fugitive from an exceptionally fine uncirculated mint set not that long ago, or was lost in a sock drawer for a few decades after being freed from a solid '87 bank wrapped roll.

Wonder if a new topic thread on MS-looking coins found in circulation would be cool? Lots of photos of course.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20187 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncirc is sort of like Unsearched. Just a term.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38596 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really, in the old days it was a grade MS60,choice unc MS63, gem unc MS65 perfect unc MS70.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Canada
560 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with T-Bop. I add coins from circulation to my date sets. Many times these coins may have come out of a new mint roll into the cashier's till and then into my hand. To me, these are still high AU. I also agree with other comments that some of these coins that are found in circulation can look better than the ones from new mint rolls. Under magnification, you may be able to see the slight circulation. I'd be curious to send some of these to TPG's to see what they come back as, but don't want to pay the fees.
Learn More...
United States
98386 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does that mean if you also pull a impaired proof from coin hunting rolls and has no scratches they can claim it as such? These are nice finds, but never the less are impaired. I wouldn't think that applies to impaired proofs right?
A proof coin is always a proof coin, as that is how it was made. You can get below PR-60, that is PR-01 is a possible grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many times these coins may have come out of a new mint roll into the cashier's till and then into my hand. To me, these are still high AU.

To me, these coins are still uncirculated / capable of MSxx grades as they show no wear from circulation. They probably had rougher handling going into the roll via automated rolling machines than coming out of the roll and going into the till.
Edited by KenKat
03/03/2021 10:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38596 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof is not a grade,it is a method of manufacture.
John1
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 629Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05