Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 Mint Set D & P Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 308Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  04:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Halerhon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry if this has been answered before. Tried searching.
If 1985 pennies in higher grades are pretty valuable. Wouldn't the mint set UNC coins bring that high of a MS grade, I.e. 68?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38568 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Not really. Some coins in mint sets already look circulated.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3667 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncirculated mint sets are assembled using coins which have been poured (yes, poured--in bulk) into containers (bags, etc.) for use by those who package the set. Lots of jostling and coin-to-coin contact. When one considers the journey freshly minted coins take after they are struck, it's no wonder they may have hits, dings, and scrapes before they get very far. Coins used in making the uncirculated sets are not lovingly carried one-by-one from the striking chamber to the set packaging room. Over the years I've had set coins appearing anywhere between weak MS60 to strong MS67--with the vast majority falling around MS64 or 64+.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some very nice '85 cents in the mint sets. Most are MS-64 to MS-66. Gems are "common" for both mints.

A lot of mint sets now days have tarnished and corroded cents but even this isn't a particular problem for the '85 set.

The problem is that MS-67's get pretty elusive and MS-68's are rarely seen. You are looking in the right place though; most high grade modern circulation issues come from the mint sets since these coins are struck better with new dies and then some don't get scratched up too badly.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1042 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was the year I graduated high school. My parents bought both the mint and proof set as a graduation gift, and yes I still have them. As to your question, the above sum things up quite accurately. Yet with the high number produced getting a higher MS grade is there with some diligent searching.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05