Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 Penny Canada Gold Plated?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 501Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ABuchan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
I found a 1978 Canadian penny that appears to be gold plated. I called the mint, and they had said there were no solid gold pennies from that year manufactured individually for sale. Is this from a set? Is it plated? Opinions or suggestions welcomed.
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Handi1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone's experiment - weigh the coin as it should be 3.24 g
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4753 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Handi1 mentioned it is most assuredly a past science experiment for school. Back in the day it was commonplace as high school projects to plate a penny. I've heard of metals such as tin, lead, brass, mercury and nickel being used.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9425 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is gold plating.
I bought a set of plated cents for my granddaughter in four different colours, Gold, Silver, Blue and Pink.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if that coin was gold plated, why does it have toning ? If plated, it would be a solid uniform colour. It looks to me like a regular cent that has retained some lustre, nothing more.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks plated to me. Some of it may have worn off over time.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2568 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY easily done at home

low tech plate with zinc, and then heat it up until the copper and zinc melt together and become brass

_g_ml8tAnWE

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" ™
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1091 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So if that coin was gold plated, why does it have toning

I don't think it's toning, I think it's just the lighting
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I gave my opinion and now my suggestion since you asked. Take it out of the 2 x 2, and post several more photos. Simple.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1978 was no gold plated penny.

This coin seem that someone play with, just many others coins around and even not a nice plated, we can see the cooper in the design.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05