Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins And Medals With A Design By John Mercanti

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 107 / Views: 3,731Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  4:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
John Mercanti, the 12th Chief Engraver of the US Mint, is credited with having a hand in the design of over 100 coins and medals while working at the Mint. He started at the Mint as a sculptor-engraver in 1974 and worked his way up to the position of Chief Engraver, gaining the title/position on May 19, 2006. He held the position until his retirement on December 30, 2010.

Since his retirement, Mercanti has accepted numerous private commissions from national and private mints for additional coins and medals. His most well-known commission is likely the Wedge-Tailed Eagle series of coins for Australia's Perth Mint. They are struck in multiple sizes, metals and reliefs with a design that changes (now) annually.

It's clear that Mercanti has a very large numismatic portfolio!

I thought it would make for an interesting thread if we tried to post images of as many of Mercanti's different coin and medal designs as we could! One polite request - please, let's not turn the thread into a parade of American Silver Eagle images!

I'll kick things off with the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics $10 Gold coin that features male and female runners jointly carrying the Olympic torch on its obverse. The coin's reverse presents an eagle design that is very closely related to the design of the Great Seal of the United States.

Mercanti shares credit for the Olympic coin's obverse design with James Peed; the coin's reverse was his alone.

The piece was the first gold coin struck by the Mint since 1933. Proof versions of the coin were struck at Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco and West Point. The Uncirculated version was struck only at West Point.

Got Mercanti? Let's See It!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/06/2021 4:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John Mercanti has been working with Australia's Perth Mint since 2014 to create a series of Wedge-Tailed Eagle coins. He has created the reverse-side design on each of the coins issued thus far.

Here'a silver pair from 2016 - the "perched eagle." The coin on the left is an example of the bullion issue (it appears like a reverse proof to my eyes), the one on the right is the high-relief proof version of the design. Both coins are 0.999 fine silver.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/08/2021 5:42 pm
Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd beat @Commems to the punch and add this baby...

Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought I'd beat @Commems to the punch and add this baby...
Well played!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful Bump! Remember, I know where to find you!

Keep 'em coming! Mercanti was involved with a number of State Quarters.

Edited by commems
03/09/2021 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1986 Statue of Liberty silver dollar was another of Mercanti's efforts within the modern US commemorative series. He was fully responsible for the coin's obverse and was the lead designer on the reverse; Matthew Peloso is credited with assisting Mercanti on the reverse.

In addition to the individual coin, I'm also showing the coin packaged with the 1986 Statue of Liberty 100 Franc silver coin from France. I came across the over-sized, two-coin NGC holder at a show a few years back and decided it would make for a nice show-and-tell piece - I already had the two coins!

1986 Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island Silver Dollar

Pillar of the Community
United States
1941 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those two pieces go together very well. I like the idea of having both in a holder. I wonder if I could get a three-item holder and throw in my Sears token...
Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mercanti was the designer of the obverse of the 2005 Chief Justice John Marshall commemorative silver dollar. He based his design on the painting done by Charles Balthazar Julien Fevret de Saint-Mémin in 1808. The reverse of the coin, by Donna Weaver, presents a view of the Old Supreme Court Chamber in the US Capitol Building.

The coin was issued to honor the former Chief Justice and mark the 250th anniversary of his birth.

2005 John Marshall 250th Anniversary of Birth Silver Dollar

1808 Portrait of John Marshall - 1808

Image Credit: Library of Congress, Printas and Photographs Division. Public Domain.

Note: I flipped the image horizontally to match the coin and make it easier to compare the two; the original is a right-facing portrait of Marshall

Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) Intaglio Print of John Marshall

The BEP intaglio print is included in the Chief Justice John Marshall Coin and Chronicles Set. The C&C Set also includes a booklet that reviews Marshall's life and career.

Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John Mercanti was responsible for the obverse and reverse designs of the 1989 Congress Bicentennial Gold Half Eagle ($5).

The half eagle was part of a three-piece set that also includes a CuNi clad half dollar and a 0.900 fine silver dollar; Mercanti did not design the half dollar or dollar coins.

Mercanti's "JM" initials are found on the reverse, under the eagle. The "W" on the obverse indicates that the coin was struck at West Point.

Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck: You're up! The 1990 Eisenhower commemorative dollar is a Mercanti coin!

Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am embarrassed to say I forgot that.

The obverse was created by Mercanti, his initials are on the upper left end of the neck truncation to the right of LIBERTY.

The reverse was designed by Marcel Jovine and modeled by Chester Young Martin. The former's signature (JOV) is in a bush near the left edge while the latter's initials appears in the base of the tree on the right.

1990-W Eisenhower Centennial Dollar

Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 107 / Views: 3,731Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05