Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Test Token 1.4 "D"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 279Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1660 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i have had this test token for a number of years. It weighs 2.5g, has up-up dies and a bilingual legend. So it is very much like a TT1.4C, except it does not appear to be copper. In hand it is a very brassy yellow with some apparent greyish toning.

I had been of the view that this coin was plated in some way as the surface is not even. However, I was looking at it carefully yesterday and I now I think it is lacquered. I looks like it has some rippling plus the edge has apparent coat seams.

So today's project is to give this an acetone bath and see what happens.

I am hoping that this is perhaps an uncatalogued copper/zinc coin like TT1.6A or TT1.6B. I have never seen one of these so I am unsure what colour they would be.

I will keep you posted!

Edited by Smallcentguy
03/07/2021 10:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1660 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that was a little disappointing. The coin was not lacquered. After the acetone bath the appearance is pretty much unchanged. I guess it just has a surface that is not as smooth as you would expect. I can only assume that this is either a copper zinc coin which has an unusual surface due to the alloy or it has been plated. I guess this needs an XRF.
Edited by Smallcentguy
03/07/2021 11:42 am
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  12:11 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, that was a little disappointing. The coin was not lacquered. After the acetone bath the appearance is pretty much unchanged.

In general, and not specific to your test token, RCM has used a type of lacquer that is resistant to acetone on several issues. In fact, I have often found that for these types of coins (Not all), an acetone soak makes the appearance disastrous. Example with the 5 cents from Proof sets of the early 1990s.
Edited by ainsivalavie
03/23/2021 12:14 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 279Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05