Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Ohio Gunsmith C/S On An 1854 Seated Quarter

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,049Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  2:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
William Packard started his Elyria, Ohio gunsmithing business in 1851. His shop was on Main Street, near the town square. The below coin, listed by Brunk as P-58, is the only known quarter so stamped. There are also two half dollars listed that bear Packard's stamping. The latest dated coin is 1865.

Packard advertised his shop opening in the Elyria Courier on March 25, 1851 ....

Pictured below is a Packard-made Hawken style target rifle ....

The stamps on the rifle's lock plate and the barrel of a 40 cal. flintlock musket clearly match those on Packard's coins ....

While I can't take credit for attributing this c/s, I did find an interesting backstory about Packard in the June 14, 1872 edition of The Fremont Weekly Journal. He killed a neighbor with the single blow of a buggy whip. He was charged with manslaughter, but I could find no disposition of the case. Perhaps, the death was ultimately adjudged to be accidental?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4122 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The newspaper account has a moralistic tone you don't see now, although it really is true when you think about it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was just thinking the same thing @oriole! You never see anything reported /written in that way today.

Very interested one Exo, thanks for posting!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56843 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, most interesting indeed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys. I much enjoy reading the old time news stories. Many of the early settlers were devout Christians, and the news much reflected their feelings on morality. These early news stories were often judgmental, blunt and satirical. Reading them, and pondering a given c/s'd coin is akin to taking a brief trip back in time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty interesting. Elyria is less than 40 miles east of where I reside.
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was just thinking the same thing @oriole! You never see anything reported /written in that way today.

Today: less morality, more politics.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story, thanks!

Very Very little honesty and accountability today. Washington DC and elsewhere sets a fine example on a daily basis.

Makes me want to
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11538 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice piece of history.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today: less morality, more politics.

Quote:
Very Very little honesty and accountability today.

Agreed and agreed. And that's as much as I'll comment on that subject.
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And that's as much as I'll comment on that subject.

Let us keep the line intact.

Keep calm and COIN on!
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exoguy, once again you have given us a terrific historical thread about a counterstamp! I love reading what you come up with in your research.

The old article is especially a good reminder to stop and take a deep breath when angry, lest we do something we will regret.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3856 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, guys, for the encouraging words and thoughts. Unless one delves into the meaning and history of the stampings, these pieces are naught but damaged coins. I'm continually intrigued about what I find and learn in this pursuit. I never seem to get bored or tire along this path.
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unless one delves into the meaning and history of the stampings, these pieces are naught but damaged coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1081 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"allow passion to become master of their reality.". Never more true than in current times.

Thanks for an outstanding post!
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,049Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05