Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1922 Grant Centenary - Grant's Birthplace?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 639Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  10:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ulysses S. Grant - Son of a tanner, West Point graduate, Four-Star and Commanding General of the Union Army during the US Civil War and the 18th President of the United States - was born in Point Pleasant, Ohio on April 27, 1822.

Nearly 100 years later, in 1921, the Ulysses S. Grant Centenary Memorial Association was formed to honor and perpetuate his memory. Among its activities was the sponsoring of gold and silver commemorative coins, along with a commemorative medal, to mark the centennial of Grant's birth. The coins (silver 50-cent piece and gold $1.00) and bronze medal each features a portrait of Grant on the obverse and a depiction of Grant's birthplace on the reverse; different artists created each. Laura Gardin Fraser was responsible for the coins' designs; I am unaware of the designer of the medal.

Ulysses S. Grant Birthplace House, Point Pleasant, OH

Image Credit: James Grant Wilson, ed., The Presidents of the United States, 1789-1914, v. 3. Published in 1914. Public Domain.

Note: The man in the photograph is not Grant, it is Dr. J.G. Rogers, the family's physician.

Regarding the Grant commemorative coins, the Annual Report of the Director of the Mint for 1922 stated:

"The Ulysses S. Grant centennial half dollar bears on one side a strong profile portrait of General Grant and on the other side a sketch of the historic log cabin in which he was born.

The Ulysses S. Grant centennial gold dollar is a reproduction in miniature of the half dollar, the only change being the value of the coin."

The problem with the Mint's description is the fact that Grant was not born in a log cabin (Don't believe the web sites that sell modern log cabins!), and the house depicted on the coins is not a log cabin! (For the record, neither is the house depicted on the medal struck by Whitehead and Hoag; it is the same house as shown on the coins.)

The Mint's description was incorporated into multiple early reference works on the US commemorative coin series (e.g., Woods, 1922; Bullowa, 1938) and was thus planted in the minds of many mid-20th century numismatists - outside of numismatics, the log cabin myth persists to the present (though I don't believe the US Mint is responsible!). (Note: After Grant completed his terms as President, he moved with his wife to Missouri and built a log cabin as his home. Might this be the cause of the confusion?)

The coins and medal accurately depict the small, two-room clapboard house that was the actual birthplace of Grant. Grant did not live in the house for very long, however. He was just one year old when his father moved the family to a larger house in Georgetown, OH in 1823. He lived in Georgetown until leaving for the US Army Academy at West Point in 1839. The Point Pleasant house still stands today and can be visited. Learn more here: http://www.usgrantbirthplace.org/

Ulysses S. Grant died of mouth/throat cancer on July 23, 1885 at his home in Wilton, NY. Today, the house is known as the "Grant Cottage" and it has been restored and opened as a museum. Learn more here: https://www.grantcottage.org/

1922 Grant Birth Centenary Half Dollar, Star Variety

1922 Grant Birth Centenary Gold $1.00, Plain Variety

1922 Grant Birth Centenary Bronze Medal

You can find my previous posts about the Grant coins, here:

- 1922 Grant Birth Centenary Half Dollar, Plain Variety
- 1922 Grant Birth Centenary Half Dollar, with Star Variety
- 1922 Grant Memorial "Cousin"
- 1922 Grant Birth Centenary Coins - Beards.

Other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/11/2021 10:51 am
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very interesting!

I am glad the image design did not stray too far from reality.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the research once again!
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The grant half has to be one of my favorite commemorative coins. Tryin to save up for one in decent shape, might take awhile though
Edited by JohnH4444
03/11/2021 12:40 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again so VERY much for adding to my (and more importantly), forum members education. And you do it in such an easy and enjoyable way! That takes true talent! Thank you.

Here's my Grant No Star. I bought this in a Heritage Auction, graded MS66 by PCGS with a CAC. I really liked it in hand (I thought it was much nicer than the photos, despite today's hi res photo technology), so I sent it back to PCGS for Reconsideration. Sure enough, despite having recently graded it originally as a 66, PCGS agreed to add a "+". Since the cert number remains the same using Reconsideration, and that CAC ignores pluses, this MS66+ automatically got its CAC sticker reapplied for just $3.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you commems for another fun and informative read.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4584 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
3716 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should really take a drive out to the Grant Birthplace - looks like about a 40 minute drive from me.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's my Grant No Star. I bought this in a Heritage Auction, graded MS66 by PCGS with a CAC.
Nice example!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 639Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05