Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sovereign Saturday: 1947 Saudi Arabia, Abdal Aziz Bin Saud Gold Sovereign (Pound) PCGS MS62

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 839Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  4:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(1947) Saudi Arabia, Abdal Aziz bin Saud Gold Sovereign (Pound) MS62 PCGS. KM-35. Struck at the Philadelphia Mint to exchange for Saudi oil. Per the reverse inscription, contains 0.2354 troy ounces of gold. One of the few gold coin issues struck by the U.S. Mint during the era when American private gold ownership was illegal. This example is well preserved and offers excellent eye appeal. The broad obverse rim exhibits two lengthy die cracks.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61731 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Not exactly an artistic highlight!
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much do these normally fetch for? I'm assuming much much higher than melt?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21419 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one went for $4,465 on Heritage.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19144 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly the same specification as the British Sovereign, 22 ct gold, .2354 ozs. AGW.
There is also an ARAMCO four sovereign piece, only very slightly shy of a Double Eagle in AGW. I have seen only one of those.

I didn't think that the ARAMCO sovereign was all that scarce.
I remember seeing quite a few individual coins in Australia in the late 1970's.
Apparently, it may be that most of them have been melted down since that time, hence the high price realized at Heritage.
Learn More...
United States
105040 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. So many questions, but this is not the place for them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish the reverse was a bit more interesting. The obverse, though nothing incredible, has a nice no-nonsense government look to it.
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Learn More...
United States
105040 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like the obverse. But that reverse, yeah, they could have given it a bit more effort. This is gold, after all.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19144 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins were not primarily made to satisfy collectors' artistic tastes; they were essentially bullion coins.
Learn More...
United States
105040 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they were essentially bullion coins.
True, but look at our other gold bullion. We have standards!

I am kidding around, of course. Their purpose is to settle debt, not win awards.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another nice piece
As Above, So Below
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3388 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know what stumps me is, why the odd "0.2354 troy ounce".

Even if it's converted to grams, it's 7.32 grams so it's not quite a easy number.

Any idea why?
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gxseries Sovereign size? Didn't the British have some influence in the region back in those days?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 839Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05