Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 Canadian Nickel, Chamfered

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 468Next Topic  
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bistrodiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(Hello, all. First post.) So I've come across an unusual 2007 nickel. It doesn't have the square (flush?) edges of other Canadian nickels-- instead, the edges seem to be bevelled or chamfered. The nickel also seems to be slightly thinner than other nickels. Any ideas what it could be?

Hope the photos are okay. In the first photo, the unusual nickel is the one on the right. In the second photo, it is the one in the center.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10240 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

Photos of the edges are OK but please include a complete photo of both sides with a head on shot.
This will help in giving us a better perspective of what is going on.
Also are all those nickels a 2007?
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bistrodiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck-- here are some head-on shots. About the other nickels: they came from a pile of nickels with years between 2006 to 2016 inclusive. (Unfortunately, I've lost track of exactly which ones I used in the photos-- I assumed they were all the same.)

In case it's relevant, I dug up another 2007 nickel (this one seemingly ordinary) for comparison. It's in the third image below.

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bistrodiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An update -- my apologies for not noticing this earlier: the unusual 2007 nickel I mentioned is slanted. It's thicker at the top (of either face) and thinner at the bottom.

Is it possible for the dies to strike at two different angles? Or maybe there was something wrong with the blank or planchet? (I guess another possibility is something very large and heavy fell on the coin, but that doesn't quite explain the chamfering/beveling.)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4734 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is weight of the odd looking coin ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
846 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bistrodiner. First Welcome.

1. When you say "slanted" in my opinion you want to say high relief. This could happened in the process of the die production. Been a variety? I have to see some studies on this subject. I have around 10 mint circulation rolls for this year, but unopened. If I will not see al least one major variety discovered or more then 3 errors strike I will not open. Keep for who want to studies this year strike.

1a. Slanted is use more to a deviation in the design which meat at least 10 degrees deviation from the axe. In fact we say: die rotation. This die rotation was almost eliminated in 2005 when the mint adopted two different guides for the anvil and hammer die. The actual permitted tolerance for alignment of the anvil and hammer die is 0.5 degrees. Also understand that now and also that year the strikes was horizontal and not vertical, which eliminated those floor rebound and angles deplanements.

Hope at your convenience.

2. Please take look at the difference at the weight. Happened also that a planchet (better say) the roll which was prepared for the mint, to be more or less on the requested parameters. Also the head and the end of the rolls have thickness differences.

Those who look and categorize the errors and varieties will decide. For me interesting is what cause those anomalies.

Again welcome and good luck.

Silvio
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weaker strike, the metal is not flowing out completely to the collar die.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05