Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold Plated 1982 Commonwealth Games 50 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 359Next Topic  

Australia
1 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  10:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there I have a Gold plated 1982 Commonwealth Games 50 cent
and can't find any information about the coin like how many was produced and the value of the coin it weighs 16.380 g.
If someone could shed some light on the coin it would be much appreciated
Learn More...
United States
99342 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
860 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John62 and

As far as I'm aware no gold plated 1982 Commonwealth Games 50 cent coins were ever minted.

More likely someone has just gold plated a regular coin ... if you look on YouTube you will find that it can be quite easy to achieve.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is a VISUAL board, we can't pass judgement fully on something we can't see.
Uploading photos is not rocket science.

But I am willing to bet, this is a home job and thus has damaged the coin. It would be worth 50 cents without the gold plate, you may have a hard time spending it with it.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
998 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  01:39 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no, why would you have a hard time spending 50c @Princetane. typo? parting with it?

15.5g is what a normally 50c weigh, if done will then maybe interesting item to keep. quite sure 50c Brisbane games never made in gold coin, there is a 10 dollar silver coin. there a new 2018 gold plated 50c commonwealth games which not bad design.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No shopkeepers and banks refusing to accept it, as it has been "altered". It is actually legal to do that for modified coins, as it is considered currency of the realm and mutilation (Such as dipping it in gold) may be considered as damage and disrespect to the British Monarch and sovereignity of Australia.

Not my rules, just me stating them. It is what "uttering" was, besides blatant counterfeiting, this included clipping (On old hammered coins in pre 1700s times) and mutilation (Such as putting holes through coins, defacing a royal portrait or symbol and sanding one side to carve words or symbols on in).

Of course such arcane rules would be seldom enforced today, it could happen.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw these on EBay:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2010-US...174689863405
From what I can tell the coins were minted in the US but later gold plated by Macquarie Mint. I wonder if your 50c piece had the same treatment by the same company?

If trying to get rid of it, vending machines and Woolies self serve checkouts accept really toasted coins. It's where my low ball metal detecting finds get laundered into shiny coins.
Learn More...
Australia
13606 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane is correct; gold-plating an Australian coin is a crime in Australia. And you don't have to refer to arcane British laws, either. Specifically, the Crimes (Currency) Act 1981, article 16:

Quote:
16 Defacing or destroying current coins or current paper money

A person shall not, without the consent, in writing, of an authorized person, intentionally deface, disfigure, mutilate or destroy any coin or paper money that is lawfully current in Australia.

Penalty:

(a) in the case of a person, not being a body corporateŚ$5,000 or imprisonment for 2 years, or both; or

(b) in the case of a person, being a body corporateŚ$10,000.

And in case one might think there's some ambiguity whether a plated coin is "defaced", Article 3(4) specifically states:

Quote:
(4) Without limiting the meaning of the expression "deface", a coin or paper money shall be taken to have been defaced for the purposes of this Act if some or all of its surfaces are coated with any material.

This covers everything, from Macquarie Mint gold-plating a normal coin for profit, to someone trying to make a 10 cent piece look like a dollar coin by painting it yellow, to a company placing an advertising sticker on a coin and putting it back in circulation. Technically, even coating a coin in varnish or oil might qualify as "defacement" under this legislation, though there might be some legal precedent I'm unaware of for defining "coating" that implies permanence.

You'll also notice "intentionally" in the wording. It's not a crime if you accidentally drop a coin into a bucket of paint, fish it out and let it dry. Or if you drop a coin into a chlorinated pool so that it turns strange colours after a few days - which, given we've seen no pictures from the OP, is entirely possible what has happened in this instance.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05