Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Sets - Mint Sets - Anything To Look For?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,041Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  9:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope this is the right forum area for this...

I know that proof or mint sets from 1970s through early 2000s arent worth much, but I wanted to ask if there were things I should look for in the sets I have that could be valuable, like any errors, coin that was made a certain way, has a certain look, etc...

I have from 1972 - 2009 so just wanted to know if there is anything I should take the time to check for or just let them stay as they are in their packaging.

Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of proof no S mint mark issues you can look for odds aren't good but you never know. The list includes 1975 and 1983 dimes and 1990 cent, to name a few.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information.

I also meant along the lines of pulling them out to get them graded (the mint sets specifically) individually and if that would even be worth while for some of them?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2815 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check the 1998 and 1999 sets for Close AM. It is a bit confusing, but proofs are supposed to be Wide AM and circulation strikes are supposed to be Close AM. There exists both aberrations. A Close AM proof is worth $150+
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As some on this forum have said, a coin should be worth about $150 or more to make it worth the expense involved in having a third-party grading service look at it. (Some may send coins to be graded in bulk, perhaps lowering that number a bit.). Sure, some folks have lower-value coins graded, but is it really worth it?
Edited by halfamind
03/25/2021 6:13 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,041Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: