Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1809/Inverted 9 Half Cent: Damage Or Multi-Struck? Or Both?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 370Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
213 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone on this Glorious weekend! I am very much soliciting Opinions on this coin, pictures of which were sent to me. It's thought to be multi-struck under damage (I'm guessing an application of a Tarry substance). And, for once, I'm not "saying a word". I am just very interested in anyone's thoughts... Thank You!

Edited by whatdowehavehere
04/03/2021 12:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wild. I can't offer a definitive answer, but here's what I'm seeing:
On the obverse, I can clearly see the word CENT, not mirrored, across Liberty's face and rotated about 100 degrees CCW. The marks in the left field and the lower part of the bust look very much like a wreath. Just to play devil's advocate and assume it's a flip-over double strike, the problem here is that CENT is in the upper half of the undertype's design. That would mean the first strike was off-center. The wreath orientation also doesn't make sense with the orientation of CENT for any Half Cent design up to that point. I would also expect the wreath in the left field to be more flattened if that was the case; it appears to protrude above the field.
I can't make out much on the reverse, but it doesn't look like a bust.
My initial thought is that it's a fake error. It can't be glue or a vise job since the lettering isn't mirrored, but it could possibly have been manipulated by adding metal. The blobs on both sides seem to support that.

In short:
Flip-over, off-center multiple strike? Probably not.
Deliberate modification? Seems a lot more likely.

This is an interesting coin. I look forward to hearing from the experts.
Edited by Numisma
04/03/2021 1:11 pm
Valued Member
Canada
213 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll just add One Thing, then I'll be Quiet. I promise. The spacing of CENT seen on the obverse is different than that of the host coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1792 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was some kind of odd corrosion damage that happens to look like CE and tree branches. That blob below E is really raised up, adding to the strangeness. I should stay quiet too, I know next to nothing.
Valued Member
Canada
213 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thought is: it has a partial counterstamp on the reverse, and it was used in an old Arcing expirement. Acid-based flux was smeared on both sides to facilitate the connection...
Edited by whatdowehavehere
04/09/2021 7:11 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05