Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 Newfoundland 1 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 234Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Llexam99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is anyone familiar with this? I can't seem to find a reference to it anywhere.

A "teardrop" shaped detail added above the 1 in the date with a similar detail on the 1 as well.

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Canada
627 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This would have to be Post Mint Damage.

There is no variety as you describe it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a die chip or scratch?

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4729 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seem to be a die chip, also an ends of the die life looking to the numerals and also to A and D, also at the flower.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
627 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on your first post!
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Llexam99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the greetings and feedback.

I realize it's difficult to tell from pics but the die is actually in very good condition and free of any other issues. Have attached close up pics of this and another example.

Lots of die cracks and related cuds in this series but all associated with legend, rim or portrait (stress points). None noted on the middle of a field. Never occurred to me to be a free standing die chip(s). That is unusual? Similar to a dot or bar coin or are they considered to be deliberately added?

The 1944 has a well documented die peel issue giving rise to a MAP variety some of which may be free standing in fields. I have noted what I believe are similar issues on some of the 1942 and 1943s. Appears as flat patches with irregular edges though. This issue has straight edges and varied depth.

This particular coin appears to be in very limited numbers and was wondering if anyone had noted it before as visible even with the naked eye.

So presumably both the field and top of the 1 are both die chips?

Thanks for your feedback.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8345 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two the same rules out post mint damage and shows there was damage to the die.
How it happened we will likely never know for sure.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05