Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1809 Half Dollar Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 254Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  9:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to help out a friend that inherited some coins.
I realize pics are not the best but any idea what this is worth?
They want to sell it and want to make sure there asking a fair price.
I know its not the rarest year.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say F details (environmental damage).
Pillar of the Community
United States
3818 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 Details (scratches on obverse and environmental damage)

I'd say the value would be at most 1/2 of a problem free example and perhaps that is a bit too high given its problems.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with F details. This one might have an XXXX edge which would give it a slight premium, but it's not very attractive.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1918 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll play the contrarian here. I'm not so sure this one gets detailed.

The crud on the coin looks more like surface crud than ED. I think a swim in acetone may loosen the crud.

The scratches are on the fence between market acceptable for grade and enough to detail the coin. They look fairly old, and most of them aren't deep.

It's had an old cleaning, but that definitely looks market acceptable.

It's a really uneven reverse strike. The left half of the reverse looks F-12, and the right half of the reverse looks VF-20. The obverse is on the F-15/VF-20 bubble. Without the issues mentioned above, I could see it netting around F-15. All things considered, if the surface crud comes off, I could see this straight grade, maybe with an eye appeal adjustment down to F-12. Assuming it doesn't have the "XXX" edge, I could see it trading somewhere near $160-ish to $180-ish. Add another $50-ish if it has the "XXX" edge".

Not a great coin, but not a lost cause, either. There's still a market for it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05