Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2008 Canadian Dime Missing Cladding

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 507Next Topic  
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's one I just found in my Dimes. Pre or Post?
I defer to you experts.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4737 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just rusted off
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10293 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at how rough the copper plating is, I would say that something acidic has eaten the nickel plating.
Normally the copper showing through would have a much smoother surface.

John beat me to it, must have posted while
I was was doing my two finger typing.
Edited by JimmyD
04/07/2021 12:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1746 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a creature from Drastic Park
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39498 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a substance on the coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
880 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First the denomination of clad is not correct. This coin is steel multi-ply which mean core steel, then 10 micron nickel then 15 micron cooper and last 5 micron nickel. the yellow color is out of the equation. must be something external. I go more with the John1 theorem.
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends if it's higher or lower than the coin, it could be glue or sap on top.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
916 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 is correct, I'm fairly certain what everyone is seeing is a substance on the surface. You can see the "G" through it, give it an Acetone bath (automotive type, not nail polish remover) and I'm sure it will come off without an issue.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, after closer analysis with my new microscope I determined that it was a layer of an unknown substance.
thanks for your help everyone and I think this new microscope is going to make it a lot easier to identify artifacts on my coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8424 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi is correct.
There are no clad Canadian coins.
Canadian coins are plated, not clad.
Big difference between plating and cladding.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 507Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05