Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has The Obverse On The Lincoln Cent Changed?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 459Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tezro128 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've noticed in a lot of my older cents from the late 90s to early 00s, Lincoln's hair seems to be much more defined and detailed than my newer cents. It seems that a change was made sometime between 2008-2011. The newer design has much smoother hair and looks just kind of blurry.

Is there any reason for this? Could it have been a cost reduction thing?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3517 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well... your comparing a regular to a Proof, so there will be differences. BUT I think after 2009, the dies were changed as they started using the Shield.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5897 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The change was made in 2010. The Mint prepared new dies for that year's coinage that were derived from the original galvano of 1909. For a time before, they were using re-engraved dies that highlighted certain details in Lincoln's portrait (including the hair details you've noticed).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1478 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the mint periodically updates the design due to various issues with the designs striking that are encountered, and design deterioration, and creates a new master hub. Both obverse and reverse.

the below are obverses and reverses, but It's only up to 2015. possible they didn't change the obverse since the minor change in 2011 to smooth things out and it's degraded further over the last decade of use. the shield reverse was 2010.

Detail issues on coins can also be deterioration of the working die itself and nothing to do with the Master Hub, or master dies, and just be a working dies used past their prime, remember, they are making coins for circulation, not necessarily for perfection. it just has to be serviceable and recognizable in commerce.... within reason of course.

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...arieties.htm
http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...arieties.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3716 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date changes every year
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15403 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The date changes every year

There's got to be a comedian in every crowd
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3716 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, I'm here all week folks!
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln seems to be getting younger over the years that he appears on pennies? Perhaps just my perception as I grow older, but he's really pulling a nice Benjamin Button as I sort through rolls
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 459Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05