Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unattributed 1570s Dutch Coin - Holland Oord?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 136Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
3443 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  3:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Apparently I never got around to posting this one on CCF either. Was reminded of it by the sixth How Far Back Can We Go thread reaching the 1570s

As far as I can tell, this is a liard/oord (?) of the Spanish Netherlands (Holland?), close to this type but not quite a match.

There's apparently a lot of varieties (not listed on Numista), and I was hoping that it might be possible to attribute my coin to a particular variety and thus a particular date (I can read 157x easily enough, but the last digit isn't very clear; my guesses included 1573, 1575 and 1577).
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BCTokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the size and weight?

It might be an oord/double duit from the province of Holland. These were minted from 1574 to 1579.

Jan
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3443 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the size and weight?
26x24 mm, 4.74 grams.

Apparently the photos are much darker than the coin actually is; in hand the legend is clearer-ish.
Obverse: PHILIP:D:G:COMES.HOLL[xxx]
Reverse: AVX.NO[S]T.IN[.]NOM[.DO]M
Note the mismatch with the Numista version, particularly on the obverse.

Sadly I still can't quite read the last digit of the date.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4547 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a variety for 1575 with PHILIP D G COMES like yours: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1576601

I cannot find this inscription on other dates using acsearch.
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BCTokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to my catalogue, the weight is supposed to be 7.70 grams at first and 7.47 grams later.

The text you give for the obverse ( PHILIP:D:G:COMES.HOLL[xxx] ) was not used from 1576 to 1579, which leaves 1574 or 1575. (the xxx is either A. or AN. From 1576 the text ends in some variant of HOL.Z.ZEL). In 1574 the text included "HISP", but I can't find a definite statement that all 1574's include this.

Thus I can't entirely rule out 1574, I think it is more likely to be 1575.

On this website: http://www.duiten.nl/ you will find lots of information one early Dutch copper, but the language is in Dutch.

Jan

Valued Member
Netherlands
99 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try this site: http://www.duiten.nl/holland.html (in dutch) I think your coin is indeed an "oord" (= 2 doits). References are: V.57.1 - GH.263.11 - vdCh.XXXV.79-84 - PW 2009-2011.
This coin was issued in the years 1575, 76, 77, 78 and 79. Its weight should be 7,46 grams
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 136Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05