Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Years Should I Be Watching For?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 350Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  01:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RedHottGinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I became interested in error coins a while back and started hanging onto my change rather than spending it but every time I think about sorting through it all I get very overwhelmed with where to start. Is there a list somewhere of the years for each coin that are most likely to have some kind of error or value above face? I've searched online for some kind of comprehensive list of the years I should be keeping aside to inspect further but most of what I found is what the most valuable ones to be sold at auction went for but I know I won't find those kinds of specimens in my pocket change. I'd appreciate any help with this

~*RedHottGinger*~
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39027 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. You need to check all years and mint marks for varieties, I am guessing that is what you meant when you say errors. Error and varieties are two different things. Check these sites and bookmark them:http://www.error-ref.com/
http://doubleddie.com/
http://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php
http://varietyvista.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1768 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look for all the years you don't have a nice example for and fill up a folder as a reference set.

As you start this process you'll run into numerous lists of varieties, errors, and the like. In the meantime you'll be well on your way to having a nice reference collection that has value in it own right.

Most of these sets can still be filled up without too much effort.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57051 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John's link is a good one.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1437 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there's steps to make it manageable.
step 1. Sort the accumulation by denomination.
cent, nickel, dime, quarter. there's 4 piles now.
a 5th pile for foreign (it's bound to happen).

step 2. sort by design or composition,
with cents, yo can sort by wheat/memorial/shield so that 3 piles from that
with nickels, you could do a cut off at 1950 lets say or wherever you like really. 2 piles.
with dimes, silver is before 1965, then it's clad, 2 piles.
with quarters, silver before 1965, then it's clad, 2 piles.
Piles for wheat cents, and silver will be small, there isn't that many of them out there anymore.

Now that you've got it to this point, it's now a bit more manageable. Depending on how you want to do it from here, you can sort by year or decade, and by mint mark (you can do the mintmark sort in step two even with nickel/dime/quarter) instead of the silver search not a big deal.

No idea how big the accumulation really is, but if we are talking literal TONS of coins, I know people have had success making a rack of coin tubes dated current to 100 years prior, and sort them by mint into the tubes by date, or 10 tubes and sort by decade, and then tackle the tubes of coins one at a time looking for errors or varieties, and using their book and/or online resources.
So they'd start with Philly or denver cent pile, sort by year or decade, depending on how much, filling tubes and when full, marking what it is, and moving on or seaching it once the cents are sorted, then moving on.

The basic premise is to take the mountain, and break it down into rocks that can be moved in an organized and efficient manner, can be picked up and put down without a big problem and you can get through it on your own time without a scatter mess. Like if you sort by year you can open to the information and have it side by side while looking, or by decade but it's more page flipping, literally all sources of info on errors and varieties are organized by date and mintmark as a search function, they may have a unique catalog number, but they are general searchable by date and mintmark.

here's two sources of info picked at random, of the top sites, one is just as good as another but I like the function of these two sites personally as they are pretty comprehensive.
http://www.varietyvista.com/
https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

there's also books (even Ebooks) for "The Cherry Pickers Guide".

there's really no way to do this without learning as the #1 thing that has to happen.
As far as sorting the accumulation, you will find what works for you, I'm just suggesting what likely should be done to make it manageable, so you actually can examine and be thorough, so you don't feel like you missed something at the end, or don't feel like you accomplished what you set out to do.

And yeah, a lot of times, it's a big NOTHING for all of it. that's just the reality for circulation hunting for errors or varieties.
Good luck!
Edited by Big-Kingdom
04/14/2021 1:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20205 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Do it the simple way. Go every coin show you can. There are always dealers with error coins.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emaroots23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info Big Kingdom! Thanks for that. I really enjoy coin collecting and only started a couple years ago but my ADD brain has a hard time trying to keep it all organized and separated and I feel like I'm looking at the same coins over and over again but I'm afraid I've missed something. However, since joining CC I have learned so much and am finding it much easier to REALLY look at every aspect of the coin to see if there is anything there.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05