Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Banknote Of The Year 2020 (Winner April 17 2021)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 437Next Topic  
Mexico
9 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  5:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lion Alchemist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, just to share that yesterday The International Bank Note Society (IBNS) announced the winner of Bank Note of the Year Award, which is the 100 Mexican peso banknote with the image of Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, here is the information. Best regards

Quote:
The International Bank Note Society (IBNS) announces that its voting membership has selected the Banco de Mexico to receive its annual prestigious "Bank Note of the Year Award" for 2020.

The vertical format note is printed on polymer and features one of Mexico's national heroines and poet/writer Sor Juana Indes de la Cruz. The reverse "piece de resistance" image features a temperate forest ecosystem which is known worldwide as the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve. The design continues to highlight Mexican cultural and historic characteristics with new graphic motifs.

The Banco de Mexico was both the printer and issuer of this award-winning design banknote, which is part of the bank's current G Series introduced in 2018. Produced by the Banco de Mexico's new printing complex located in Jalisco, which began operation just before the coronavirus pandemic, the banknote has significantly improved security features which coordinate the transition to a polymer substrate.

Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely design and very appealing.

At $5.00 USD a virtual bargain. I'd like to have one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
623 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice design. A deserving winner!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1297 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely design for sure.
(and issued with 5 signature combinations! Should make things interesting for collectors)

Here's a link for the reverse design:
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c...020-0100.htm
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1297 Posts
Mexico
9 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lion Alchemist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know which signature combo is(are) the tough one(s)?

I guess it would be Javier Eduardo Guzmán Calafell because this year he ended his role as deputy governor of the Bank of Mexico. He was already replaced by Galia Borja Gómez so there is six signature combination. Best regards

Lion Alchemist
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
623 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know which signature combo is(are) the tough one(s)?

I still do not understand why Mexican banknotes have so many signature varieties
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10965 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great-looking note. It's going for around $12-15 on ebay shipped, but if you have some other notes you want to add to your world note collection (as I do) you can cobmine shipping with some other notes to get it down to the $11-12 range, depending on the seller.

Some of the other candidates for banknote of the year were very nice as well. The Thailaind 1,000 Baht, the Bahamas $5, the Fiji $50 and the Scotish 20 Pound are all notes I'd like to have in my collection. They, however, are not nearly as affordable as the 100 Peso note. I also like that the new Zimbabwe $20 made it to the list. I actually have that note, another affordable one.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2114 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like it at all, but everyone has his own preferences.
Valued Member
Canada
412 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I liked it very much and got one as soon as it came out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1297 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it too but don't collect (nor pay a premiums) for new banknotes I can pick up at my bank or exchange outlets. Plus, I would be more inclined to acquire one if I thought it had potential in terms of being "collectible." In that regard, I'd prefer a) special serial number, b) short prefix c) short signature (or at least some other reason- a nation I collect? etc) for me to go out of my way to get one. Of the 2017 nominees, I really thought the Irish & Scottish 20 Pound notes were the "cat's ass' cool (but I still remain ambivalent whether I'll set aside that kind of dough for a plastic note- unless it has some "collectible" feature).
Edited by walk2dwater
05/11/2021 8:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10965 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't like it at all, but everyone has his own preferences.

Fair, but what's not shown in this chat is the back of the note, which showcases monarch butterflies and, I think, is even nicer than the front:

Quote:
I like it too but don't collect (nor pay a premiums) for new banknotes I can pick up at my bank or exchange outlets.

I can understandt that. But it still costs money to get to your exchange/outlet, you're not guaranteed the notes will be there, nor that they are in UNC condition (if that's what you collect), etc. I think paying a reasonable premium to a reputable online banknote dealer is worth it, especially if you spread the premiums among other notes. To each their own.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add currencyden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some fun facts about this years nominations:
12 Polymer
10 Paper
2 Hybrid

20 Horizontally oriented
4 Vertically oriented

8 Asia (1 Island)
7 Europe
5 North America (4 Island)
2 Africa
1 South America
1 Australia

2/3rds produced by commercial firms:
9 De La Rue
2 Oberthur
1 Giesecke & Devrient
1 Orell Fussli
1 PWPW
1 NPA
2 Unknown

WARNING - Editorial time next

The 2 unknown printer notes were for Nepal & Tunisia. This occasionally happens for any number of reasons. In this case, I believe the Nepal & possibly Tunisia choose not to advertise who was now making their notes - China. China now needs only half of it's 10 large printing plants for local notes (large push to virtual currency). The extra capacity is now used to produce notes commercially. Since it's a Communist enterprise, the stated sales scheme is to charge enough to pay for wages & upkeep only, not profit. The choice of a printer is as much politics as cost for most note issuing countries. Rather than face local & world-wide negative attention it is easier to base the choice on cost only & hide the printer.

Roland
IBNS 9555
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 437Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05