Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Purchased A 1921 Walking Liberty, What Causes These Streaks?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 431Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  8:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add StringBeanJeans to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just purchased the coin in the pictures (1921 Walking Liberty). I was just curious what causes the streaks on the reverse? I have other silver coins with this on them (mostly older ones, like Barber halves)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Edited by StringBeanJeans
04/18/2021 8:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5464 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know the explanation but I have seen similar marks on other heavily-worn Walkers. Maybe long storage in some brand of commercial album could cause this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Older coin folders, Whitman as an example, that only show one side of a coin. The paper backing may have become damp enough to create slight rippling, which looks to be the cause where it touched the coin.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
04/18/2021 10:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15178 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can I ask what grade you bought the coin at ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StringBeanJeans to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can I ask what grade you bought the coin at ?

I bought it thinking it was around a G04. What do you think?

Here is another example of one of my Barber halves....

Edited by StringBeanJeans
04/19/2021 10:26 am
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking around G6-VG8. Nice pickup!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56652 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent shot at G-06 in my book.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StringBeanJeans to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

Decent shot at G-06 in my book.

A 6-8 really!?! Thanks for the replies!

If I sent it to a TPG, do you think it would get Details? I think its too beat up.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen similar coins with straight grades, as long as it ain't cleaned, you got a 80% chance it's not details .
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StringBeanJeans to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JohnH4444, the dark vertical streaks on the reverse are not from cleaning, correct?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15178 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Come on , Really ! This is mine

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StringBeanJeans to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Come on , Really ! This is mine

I was surprised also. I was thinking G4 when I bought it, I guess it could be a G6. I mean, I wouldn't argue if it came back a VG8, but I think that's being hopeful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2932 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the dark vertical streaks on the reverse are not from cleaning, correct?

The dark vertical streaks are not from cleaning. The streaks are from toning and the streaks are where the coin made contact with material containing sulfur. The coin has most likely been stored in something like a jewelry box with cloth ribs to house rings, or came in contact with cardboard ribs maybe in an old coin album.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 431Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05