Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ICCS Submission On Way Back - Some Upgrades, Downgrades And A Few Surprises

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 569Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1200 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  7:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I like ICCS's new system of online submission, got an email today letting me know the results (on website) and the tracking number (arrives tomorrow), yay.

I cutout and resubmitted 16 previous ICCS coins and another 100 or so raw coins to make it a bulk submission

Downgrade
1858 $0.20 EF40 -> VF20 - Quite surprised at this one
1953 $1.00 SF Cam MS63 Old embossed -> MS62 SF Cam. Surprised, I thought it would have gone up. Will relook in hand

Same
1897 $0.01 MS62 Lustrous brown -> MS62 R&B
1928 $0.01 MS63 Lustrous brown Old embossed -> same
1931 $0.01 MS60 brown Old embossed -> same
1955 $1.00 MS64 -> same

Variety
1909 $0.05 VF20 RL -> VF20 RL Cross/Bowtie - A nice attribution

Upgrades
1876H $0.01 MS63 RB -> MS64 RB RP T&A - sent for variety, and a bit surprised on upgrade
1886 $0.01 MS60 trace red obv 2 Old Embossed -> MS62 RB obv 2
1927 $0.01 MS60 lustrous brown -> MS62 R&B
1945 $0.01 MS64 Red Old embossed -> MS65 Red
1946 $0.10 MS64 -> MS65
1947 $0.10 MS63 Old embossed -> MS64
1945 $1.00 AU55 Old embossed -> MS62

1935 $0.10 MS64 Old Embossed -> MS66 - I had this listed as a SWL, I guess they did not agree. Was pleasantly surprised on 66, I thought was under graded, but not 2 pts.

Raw Happy Stories
1953 - purchased in an old mint box and w/cellophane packages & staple, it was a bit of gamble and was hoping for a couple PL/SP's. All NSF and came back
$0.01 MS65 Red
$0.05 MS64
$0.10 MS64
$0.25 MS65 LD
$0.50 MS63 SD
$1.00 MS65

1937 $0.10 & $0.25 both MS65 - I think this was more of a technical grade, they are heavily toned and quarter has some carbon spots. Came from a bulk lot, so nice pickup.

1885 $0.05 F12 sm5/5 - I had this up for sale without attribution and received a lowball offer as a buy it now. I took a closer look, saw the 5/5 and quickly declined, then took the coin off the market. A big thanks to whoever lowballed me in ebay land.

1967 - I opened a nice blue toned PL set, only the nickle was PL, rest came back SP, a bit surprised there.

1973 $0.01 SP64 - Nice to have a none ugly toned version of this

A nice grouping of PL 65/66 coins with cameo from 60's and 1970. I'm building a PL65+ cameo set up to 1970.

Sad stories
1915 $0.25 VF20 - I felt confident on VF30

1885 NFLD $0.01 F15 - Will need to look at this in hand again, seems very low to me

1945 $0.10 EF45 - I'm pretty sure I packed the wrong coin, did not mean to send in something circulated here.

1945 $0.50 - Coming back altered surfaces, no grade listed, will be interested to see what this shows up as.

My grading of 1960's PL coins, I was aiming for only 65's w/cameo and higher, but seemed to have hit quite a few 64's and some non-cameo, especially with nickels. I guess it is another area for improvement for me.

Follow up story
1962 $1.00 PL65 - Unattributed from Belzberg. Some may remember this discussion from a few years ago, it went in with this submission and came back PL, as expected.

Summary
Overall, it was a fun experience to think really critically about what I am sending in, as this would cost me actual money. I took my time on preparing this submission and glad I did, as I made quite a few changes and additions along the way, my average cost was under $9.00/coin incl shipping, so I would definitely do a bulk submission again. And was able to get a few broken silver dollar flips changed over as well.

From a cost/benefit side I definitely came ahead, compared to where I was previously valuing the coins, though some big disappointments. The under grading of old embossed ICCS flips (by current standards) seems to be holding true, as I had a few nice upgrades, Lustrous brown has potential. I tried to be very selective on the old embossed holders. I was pretty happy with my grading for the most part, most were within a point and usual under graded on my end. But really struggled with 1960's non-silver PL coins.

The biggest scare was fedex leaving the package at ICCS's door on a Friday afternoon, after ICCS closing hours (thankfully they came back), a nervous weekend for me. Hopefully they don't do the same tomorrow at my house.

A big thank you to everyone here for helping with grading and knowledge over the last few years. I definitely would not have done it without your help.
Learn More...
Canada
9667 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1973 1c in bright red is not an easy one to find. So many were toned or ruined in the RCM's Prestige Sets with the red fluff.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1101 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1325 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your very informative and interesting post.
I am at the moment preparing one shipment of 100+ coins to each of our both TPG's.
It will most certainly be an interesting experience.
what was your timing with ICCS?
H
Learn More...
Canada
9667 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a large batch of coins to send to ICCS, but I have held back sending them... mostly for the same FedEx reason you gave above.

I'll probably wait until I can drop them off in person, maybe in the fall.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1325 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
makes me think now..but I think FedEx is still more reliable than can post's express.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1200 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spp - yes , bright red and shiny, almost forgot I had it tucked away. Much better than my purple spotted toner

ICCS said dont use fedex ground and make sure to select signature required, then less of an issue

@47P7 - it was 7 weeks less 1 day from the day it arrived at ICCS. Really like the online submission piece.
Valued Member
108 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, that seems to have been an advanced collector's ability
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3891 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping to ICCS purchase Canada Post Priority Courier
and purchase Signature ( in non Covid scenario )
Use the DO NOT SAFE DROP option ,
ship to them only on Monday or Tuesday
as this keeps the item in the mail stream
for the shortest possible time .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1325 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacific,
do you or anyone else know with what courier CANPOST actually does ship? and are these detailed trackable like Fedxex is?
I heard some time ago that they use fedeX.
?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3891 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Priority Post is a product that Canada Post sells .
These are delivered by Canada Post employees
and it is a fast Secure way to ship .
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05