Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 Liberty Eagle (Mounted)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 497Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  05:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Doctorp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I apologise if this is in the wrong place and/or considered inappropriate in a coin collecting community.
Discovered while clearing my late aunt's house, a USA 10 dollar dated 1899 in a mount with a detachable pocketwatch chain.
My knowledge of the coin is from 15 minutes on Google but I am puzzled by the stock images hence this query.
The Liberty head is aligned with the centre of the mount but flip the coin/mount over and the eagle is upside down with respect to the head. Are they all like this please? I don't want to sell something that is counterfeit.
The watch chain including 'T' piece is hallmarked and stamped 625.
The mount/clasp is also hallmarked and stamped 375. All mounting points to the coin are intact.
The coin faces have tiny scratches (consistent with use and age I guess).
The coin edge serrations visible either side of the mount are present with no evidence it has been dropped.
There is no mint mark underneath the eagle.
The coin/mount/clasp weigh 20g and together with chain weighs 56g (wife's digital kitchen scales).
Little provenance except found among WW1 medals and badges including some US and Canadian items that along with the coin were possibly traded among the soldiers.
Any help will be appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
40084 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. If the coin is real it has most likely been damaged by mounting it. The coin should be gold and the rest of it sounds like it is silver. If real, I am guessing it has mostly bullion value now.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59366 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A direct mount like this without a bezel pretty much dooms it to bullion status.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
American coins flip up/down, so your coin is probably real. But it looks like it's been plated in silver.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for the replies that together confirm what I had suspected but didn't know.
The photo colours are washed out as the coin is gold coloured therefore assumed to be gold.
Excellent forum and clearly a wealth of knowledge.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the real deal, just damaged and polished. The good news is that it still contains about $860 (620) worth of gold if real.

Edited by Numisma
04/22/2021 11:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to remove that mount take it to a jeweler that makes their own jewelry - they should have the knowledge and tools to remove solder.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 497Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05