Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PMD Or Clipped Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 226Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
79 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this in some pocket change today. PMD or clipped planchet? If you think PMD, please explain why so I might learn a thing or two.

I will say that it is a very clean, straight, vertical cut - no sign of pinching or squishing like you might expect if someone had cut it with a pair of pliers.

Thanks all!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards PMD...Why? Because the U N I T of United seems to be well struck, had there been a clip during the striking process we would see more metal movement in the void space therefore making the tops of U N I T to appear weak...just saying from what I've learn here over the days.. lets see what others think...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A picture of that edge might be useful to see if there are tool marks. My guess is that it was introduced to a grinding wheel, just an assumption.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11521 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  03:51 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like PMD. The rim should taper off at the "clip", but it's still there which would be impossible on a true clip.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56645 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say PMD as well.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD. Just doesn't look right
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your input all! Much appreciated. Sounds like I didn't get lucky this time around. Here's an edge pic anyway. Have a great weekend!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The side show clipped planchet (how is say in collecting). Others can pronounce of premium or not.

PS.: I say "how is say in collecting" because is use like this. In fact is what? We have clad-copper-clad. The side show a cracked planchet. How happened?: The copper roll was crack, so we apply the clad and then we have the planchet cut forces which will detach the middle copper. Then when will go to the strike, the enormous force apply will make the Ni clad to broke. This it is, the structure of the metal could be see on the side which eliminate the PMD.
Edited by silviosi
04/23/2021 4:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16964 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD based on the last picture.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BadThad, if you guys say PMD is OK for me but this was a planchet default and the strike make the part to detached. It is easy to say PMD, but the reality?, the true? and the sample of the collecting coin?. do we have to go always with the grand father thinking?. No.! The science it is here at our door and we have to accept.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 226Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05