Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1962 Nickel, Is This An Authentic Error Or PMD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 522Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1375 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  7:21 pm Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I believe everyone has seen the so-called DD 1962 nickels. posted below are 2 of that fame. However, they are different, And it is not the date or DD. IMO, one of them is, so I believe, a true unintentional error. Fortunately, I actually have 2 of them. maybe it is just another die set? who knows?
Can you experts tell which one it is, and what the error is? Should be easy for you?
And NO it is not trick photography. Have a close look at these with an open eye and mind and it will be obvious.
Just enlarge the pix and it stares right at you.
I will post an image showing the errors later.
And, would it be worth getting the subject error coins graded?

Edited by 47P7
04/28/2021 5:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no idea...please tell us what you see.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1375 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok... look at the rim
every time it changes the angle, it has a break
see picture below
I am disappointed that NOBODY noticed this. You guys normally do not miss a beat..
here it is... and I do not believe that it is unique, as I have at least 2. And gave some away without being aware. It might be rare?
But, it is only a 1962 nickel...
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Errors are about eye-appeal and wow-factor. If you can't spot an obvious error in 2 seconds, then it is relatively minor (exceptions exist, like 1968 10c struck on a US clad planchet, or a non-magnetic 25c Cu-Ni planchet error).

This is a flawed planchet (improper annealing maybe?), the appeal to error collectors is about the same as a small retained lamination. Definitely not worth grading.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1375 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SPP.
Your explanation does make sense with many error coins. As long as an error is known and published, it will be recognized within seconds by most collectors.
There are many other known error coins not easily recognized as error coins unless one knows what to look for, or someone else told them and pointed out the error.
Usually, something like that is not readily seen if a person is not aware of it and has never seen it before!
Note: the 25 and 32 far/near had to be discovered by someone? right? seen within 2 seconds? Not then, but now "everyone " knows it.
The eye appeal and wow factor play only a role when an error or variety is known and is rather prominent so it can not be missed, and everyone is looking for it.
Presently this error nickel has had no exposure for this error and is only known for the rather odd MDD Date of which many are available.
However, nobody most likely has ever noticed the rim on it because the mind was set on the DD date. I only saw it just by chance playing with the lights when trying to take a closeup of the DD date.
The crack I saw in the rim caused me to follow up on it. I just wanted to see where it ended.
The cracks turned out to be ONLY on every corner right through from rev to obv side.
These cracks are clearly visible without magnification, obverse, and reverse! However, they are small. but they are there.
All you need is a sharp eye, an open mind to discover, and "wanting to look".
OR, when you know about it, you see it instantly.
Everyone who looked at my posted images probably just looked at it as another boring 1962 nickel even though the cracks can very easily be seen in the picture pair.

Maybe you are right suggesting a flawed planchet. But why are only all corners affected with cracks?
I have at least 2 of them out of a full roll of 1962s. I have still others from the same roll that do not have cracks.
So, there are more than one in the wild. For sure and who knows how many more? I gave some from the roll away over the last few years when I did not know about the cracks. So, who knows.?
I have mentioned often that I am not a mechanical person and that I only look at the end product.
Comparing this coin in hand with other 1962 nickels, I noticed other properties slightly different. Might just all be coincident.
Perhaps you guys might check your coins and just maybe you will also notice the issues.
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Presently this error nickel has had no exposure for this error and is only known for the rather odd MDD Date of which many are available.

Wrong. I have seen these before, and never really put much value on it (and I am an error collector and dealer). I had a whole roll that I put together from a mint bag search. I maybe sold two of them in 5 years (for $2 each), and the rest of the roll I just wholesaled for 4x face value to a vest-pocket eBay dealer at Nuphilex.

When it comes to a cracked or flawed 5c planchet, this is what will draw the attention of error collectors: http://goccf.com/t/303506&whichpage=2

Quote:
Maybe you are right suggesting a flawed planchet. But why are only all corners affected with cracks?

Because that is where the most stress would be, exerted by the collar die (which formed the shape of the coin). If they used improperly annealed cold-worked nickel blanks, planchets that did not outright crack or split in the upset mill, would show the stress during the strike.

Frankly, I put little value in this. Yeah, it's cool from a process-driven point of view, but to an error collector, they'll go after robmck1967's cracked nickel first. The bigger the flaw, the more appeal (and value) it has.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4734 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Minor errors are what they are, minor and mostly worthless when shows are up and running again dealers have binders of minor stuff like doubling for a buck or two. If you purchase these types of errors 20 years latter you will have trouble getting your money back. I rarely hear an error collector go goofy over a far 2, one of the best example of a cool error but has no wow appeal is the missing edge lettering coins, they are really hard to sell and get true value because without seeing a grade label, it looks just like a normal version.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1375 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to clarify: This is not a matter of money for me. It is a matter of being in the process of selling all or most of my nickels and that is how I became aware of this error when taking pictures.
will be listing a bunch tonight.
H
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 522Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05