Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Commemorative Coins From 1965 That I Can Not Find Same Examples . Help!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,058Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
155 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  9:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mikeyworms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I picked up at recent estate sale-1st Flight of Wright Bros & Sir Winston Churchill. Both 28.6gr SILVER , Both 0726 on Edge, both NCS 1965 stamp. I find these coins but different images. The images on my coins have a Satin type of finish. Help me find out what I'm missing please, I'm LOST!!! AS always Thanks for all the input and suggest a good camera with light diffuser!

Poll Choices
  Fake Coins
  Not Silver

Pillar of the Community
United States
4311 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are not coins but probably medals minted by a private mint. If they are made of silver, they are worth melt value. If made of a base metal, then probably of no value.
Edited by jimbucks
04/30/2021 9:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The medals (not coins) that you've presented were struck by the Franklin Mint as part of its National Commemorative Society (NCS) series that it produced in the mid-1960s to 1970s. The series included 150 different medals; they were struck in sterling (0.925 fine) silver and have a silver weight of 0.83 ounces each.

The definitely have a value in the medal collector market that extends beyond their melt value. Those that do not specifically collect medals will typically view them negatively and undervalue them (this includes most every dealer you might talk to about them).

I can't tell from your post exactly what question(s) you have, so please post again if you need more info than what I've provided.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/30/2021 9:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4311 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good info from Commems. I didn't think that there was much of a market for Franklin Mint medals above melt. I have a bunch of the "100 greatest masterpieces" sterling silver medals from the FM made in the 1970s, but don't think they are worth more than melt, maybe they are?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4531 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Medals definitely have a collector value but in my experience the medal market is quite thin compared to coins. Many if not most modern silver medals cannot be sold for more than the metal value. This is certainly the experience of my LCS.

That being said, do check the ebay sell prices in case you have one of the exceptions.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,058Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: