Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Rarest US Coin Ever Minted?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,626Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see publications proclaiming the 1804 Dollar as the King of US coins. Then another claiming Only 1 legal 1933 St. Gaudens. Then only 5 known Liberty nickels and only 2 known 1841O gold half eagles. I will never own any of these great coins but I was curious in terms of absolute rarity, Which U.S. coin is the true King of them all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8761 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are we counting proofs and specimen coins?
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Grape, Just regular issue and proofs but not errors like the '43 copper cent and such. I went and did a google search for a list and answered my own question. It appears the true "King" is the 1849 $20 Lib listed as unique in the Smithsonian. A $17 million dollar value. BTW, I just acquired a nice '28 Peace dollar from your friends over at Golden Eagle and I am still waiting for the USPS to deliver the 1921 Peace I ordered as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6124 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that the 1873-CC No Arrows dime is unique.

It was the last coin to be acquired by Louis Eliasberg when he was assembling his complete set of US coins by date and mint.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59470 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's my understanding as well.
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Commems, I Just looked at the list and the 1873 CC no arrows dime is # 29 on the list with a value of $1,276,000 The list is incredible! What I wouldn't give to have any of these but all I can do is dream.
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The list I was looking at contains the top 200 coins from highest value to lowest. I wish the moderator would allow the link to be posted but this site will not allow it. It is truly remarkable!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3676 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the 1964 Peace dollar is the rarest. If anyone has one they ain't saying, so the chance of getting one and telling anyone is 0.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59470 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If unverified, then I don't think it qualifies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6124 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi Commems, I Just looked at the list and the 1873 CC no arrows dime is # 29 on the list with a value of $1,276,000 The list is incredible! What I wouldn't give to have any of these but all I can do is dream.

Sometimes, dreams have to suffice!

Are you looking for the highest selling price or the rarest coin? Your post title suggests rarest coin, but the list you are now referring to deals with selling prices. They are two different lists!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3676 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If unverified, then I don't think it qualifies.

Considering the US Govt will probably take any 1964 Peace dollars, it will probably be unverified for a long time. I doubt it will even be sold internationally as the US Govt would treat it as a cultural icon and demand its return, which most other governments would probably return it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20287 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is actually the one one coin you need to complete a set.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only legal 1964 " Peace dollar" to own would be the overstrike by Daniel Carr.
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Commems, In my original post I was indeed referring to absolute rarity and not highest value but in many respects one goes along with the other. The list doesn't give the mintage figures but in the case of the 1849 double eagle the actual mintage is 1, so I can see that being the rarest coin on the list and the highest valued. Curiously however I did not see the 1841O half eagle on that list despite having a mintage of only 50 with a footnote of (2 known). I suppose the rest were melted down?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3365 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two that I am thinking of is the 1804 dollar class II overstruck over Swiss thaler and 1814 half dollar struck in platinum.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Learn More...
United States
102153 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only legal 1964 " Peace dollar" to own would be the overstrike by Daniel Carr.
Which would technically be an illegal counterfeit if just one US minted 1964 Peace dollar was found to still exist.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,626Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05