Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identification Assistance Please - James 1st Farthing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 278Next Topic  
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  07:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hype to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. Wondered if any experts could give a bit more detail on this coin, recently found on the Thames foreshore.

From online research so far I'm thinking it's a James 1st Harrington farthing (maybe an early one, from around 1613), but there seem to be various discussions online about half-farthing vs farthings.

And is anyone able to tell me what the marking in front of FRA is? It's a diamond with crossed-lines - would this be classed as a saltire?

Many thanks in advance!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
629 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really my area, but what I have been able to research:

I believe it is a Harington type 1 a, b or c. I can't see from the pictures, but on "a" the mintmark is on the cushion of the crown, on "b" it replaces the jewel on the circlet of the crown and on "c" it is below the crown. As far as I can see, all type 1s have the symbol you highlighted before FRA, but this is not a mintmark. I can find no name for it, but it looks like a Saltire over a Mascle.
On type 2 Haringtons the mintmark is on the reverse in the same place before the FRA as the symbol, but I am fairly sure yours is type 1 as it is too small for a type 2.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
592 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Paddy is correct, Harrington type one, eight strings to the harp, but it's difficult to know if it is a, b, or c.
The star stop between D and G may help narrow it down a little.
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
60 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hwilkinson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

with PaddyB

I personally believe that this is a Harrington type 1b.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hype to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help all, and for the welcome back message! Time in between coin finds has been long, but hopefully we'll find more as we scour the foreshore.

Reading up it seems like the only difference between Harrington 1a and 1b would be the privy mark, which I think will be too hard to locate due to condition. And I've found reference to the star (mullet?) between the letters, but there was no mention of its significance.

Thanks again!
United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it is a Harington 1b (note one R in Harington). The mark on the reverse is a Harington knot, sometimes called a fret, which is a family symbol rather than a privy mark, and only appears on the Type 1. There is no letter on the bottom of the crown, so it isn't 1a, or a symbol below, so it isn't Everson 1c. It looks to me that the central jewel is a mullet.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05