Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1940 D Lincoln Wheat Cent Doubled Die - DDO-001

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 220Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3283 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  12:23 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a fairly moderate class VI DDO, so nothing super special. But it has the extra bonus of a bit of doubling on top of the L, which CONECA lists as class VIII, so kind of a tripled die in a way.

Unsure if someone else was going after it as a doubled die, or just a nice coin for the year as it looks MS66RB, but had to pay $25 to win it on eBay. Worth it as a nice DDO-001 example and an upgrade for me.

1940-D Lincoln Wheat cent doubled die - DDO-001

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38842 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Even if it wasn't a variety, a nice find.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56642 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, 66RD or better I'd say.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50636 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also a very nice die state as well. None of the distracting die scratches, and other events from an aging die. Very nice find.
http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20...0DDDO001.htm
Variety Vista doesn't have any images of a Stage 'A' yet?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a photogenic coin, nice buy.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3283 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks! Wish they were all this nice but just makes it that much better when they are.
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you wouldn't mind helping these eyes and identifying exactly what you're talking about here. I fully Agree gorgeous coin but as I look at VV http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20...01940-D.htm) I see the mention of the extra mark on the L but what else is going on with this coin, not that that isn't enough. Is there a slight spread on the zero?
Thanks
JB
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3283 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the L, it is a class VI doubled die (distended hub doubling). These don't usually show actual separation, but can be spotted fairly easily once you get used to seeing them. Note that the tail of the 9 is too thick, the vertical bars of the IBE are too thick and even look curved to some extent, and the lower bar of the E in WE has a pointy-up toe at the end. There's a bit more going on than that, but those are the points easiest to see without doing close ups.
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tropicalbats. Thank you. "Once you get used to..." need all the help I can get! Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50636 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes in order to see the differences, a side by side will help a lot more:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4693 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An American beauty!
United States
48 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 59M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tropicalbats. Thank you. "Once you get used to..." need all the help I can get! Thanks
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05