Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold Bullion Spotlight: The South Africa Krugerrand

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 323Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - The modern bullion coin market wouldn't exist without the forerunner that became at one point the world's most traded bullion unit, the South African Krugerrand. While bullion gold was quite common prior to the Krugerrand's introduction in 1967, its convenient 1 oz. form offered an easy way to buy, sell, invest, and trade bullion worldwide. With its success, other countries followed suit with their own bullion coin issues.

South Africa 1967 Krugerrand PCGS MS67

The concept for the 1 oz. bullion coin may originate from multiple sources. In the South Africa Mint Museum there is a piece struck prior to 1941, made by The Royal Mint in Pretoria, for a 22-karat one-ounce gold coin. This museum-owned piece might just be the inspiration for the Krugerrand coin. The more likely inspiration came from the 1960 Chamber of Mines 24-karat 1 oz. gold medallions that feature two springboks. These medals had two versions, one minted with English inscriptions and boasting a mintage of 4,000 and another in Afrikaans with a mintage of 2,000. Unfortunately, most of these medals, often considered patterns for the Krugerrand by South African collectors, seem to have been melted for the bullion and as such are scarce today. Yet, selling a 1 oz. bullion issue from the Chamber of Mines likely inspired those who wanted to have an output to market South African gold to create their own units for sale.

South Africa 1960 Chamber Mines 1oz Medal

In an effort to market and sell the gold of South Africa, the Rand Refinery and the South African Mint collaborated on the production of a 1 oz. bullion coin. The design chosen was that of the former Boar leader and president of South Africa, Paul Kruger, based off the designs of Otto Schultz. The obverse would feature the portrait of Kruger and South Africa in two languages, English and Afrikaans. The reverse was that of a single springbok, flanked by the date, with the notation 1 oz. fine gold, again in two languages with the denomination "Krugerrand" above. The denomination was a fictious joining the name of Paul Kruger with that of the South African currency, the rand, to create a Krugerrand.

Read the Entire Article
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60873 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good reminder of the early days, thanks!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instructive article. I enjoyed reading it.
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

I remember seeing adds for them in all the coin magazines when I was much younger. I dreamed of being able to buy some one day. Funny, I still have no gold in my collection.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05