Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Autographed Notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'll start. This is a new acquisition signed by Mary Ellen Withrow who served under Bill Clinton (1994-2001). It is a $2-1995 series replacement note with a lower run of 512K.

Edited by cashhound
05/06/2021 3:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handsome specimen indeed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3205 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great note Hound.
Mary Ellen Withrow was the most accessible former Treasurer ever. She loved attending shows while setting up a table for courtesy autographs, and loved talking with the attendees. The top two prolific currency autographers to date are Mary Ellen Withrow and Ivy Baker Priest. I might have a few, let me go check...

Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3205 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just about all of my autographed notes are uncirculated, or almost uncirculated, which seems to be the norm with courtesy autographed notes. With that being said, I'd like your opinions or theories about these next two autographed notes signed by Secretary of the Treasury Robert Anderson. Both notes are in Fine condition and my question is, were they signed in this condition, or were they signed when they were uncirculated and received the wear afterwards ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SteveInTampa ... My vote is that they were both signed in circulated condition after viewing them both in enlarged state (only 276KB and 227KB respectively though).
Edited by cashhound
05/06/2021 6:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Withrow notes, Stever. No clue on the Anderson notes.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fej33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just have a 1957 dollar signed by the treasurer Elizabeth Smith, which was in 1961. She wasn't the treasurer on the note but still kinda cool I suppose.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoolBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SteveInTampa You can be pretty certain that the notes circulated before being singed. Otherwise they would have been pulled from circulation much sooner. If the notes had been AU or EF then there could be some debate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3205 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this a year or two ago and it's already my favorite. It's also my one and only large size note with a courtesy autograph. A.W. Mellon, the 49th Secretary of the Treasury under Presidents Harding, Coolidge and Hoover and one of the wealthiest citizens of the United States at the time, signed this $5 FRN.

Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You got some nice stuff there Steve! . .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11026 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is signed before cirulation. Those signatures legible and flowing. Difficult to do on a rumpled note with a ball-point pen (unless perhaps it was pressed/ironed first).

Just a guess and really hard to be sure without notes in hand...even then, probably difficult. Where is Steve Grad when you need him?!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3205 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the summer of 2018, PMG announced the introduction of a Cabral Autographed holder. I searched my autographed notes and knew I already had a Cabral courtesy autographed note in a PMG holder.

So I thought it would be really cool to have a Cabral autographed note in a Cabral autographed holder. I contacted Jennifer at PMG and enquired about the possibility. She answered by letting me know there was a 10 note minimum. I then contacted John DeRocker, knowing he had considerable influence at PMG. Anyway, John worked a minor miracle and was able to push my one note through. I've never seen another example like it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58159 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice ones Stever! That Mellon is just aa killer.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/08/2021 4:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05