Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

World's Fair Of Money, What Are Coin Prices Like?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  6:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As a Canadian and covid aside there aren't many great shows throughout the year. Just wondering what the buying experience is like at the World's fair of money? Are there good deals to be had? I know it's kinda of an odd question considering all dealers deal differently. Just wondering overall how the prices are. It's quite a distance for me.

Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18529 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worlds Fair of Money - seems to have a promotional character to the title - nothing wrong with that - should help to attract attendees.

To find the bargains it would still be necessary (as with all coin shows), to get down to consider each individual coin offered to find the real bargains.

You will need to actually attend the show to find them. Much better to examine each coin in hand, rather than just look at on screen. That is one of the main reasons why I like to attend coin shows.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3501 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been to 2 local shows recently, my feelings are that the prices are higher than what you can get at a good coin shop, almost around eBay prices, so to me the coin shows are at a higher price than what I am used to paying.

This is based on the coin shows I attended and what I was looking for at the time (currency), I can't talk about a specific show or a specific item.
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Worlds Fair of Money - seems to have a promotional character to the title - nothing wrong with that - should help to attract attendees.

To find the bargains it would still be necessary (as with all coin shows), to get down to consider each individual coin offered to find the real bargains.

You will need to actually attend the show to find them. Much better to examine each coin in hand, rather than just look at on screen. That is one of the main reasons why I like to attend coin shows.

I knew it would be a tough question to answer hence the use of the word "overall". I can agree with having a coin in hand is much much different than looking even at a great hi res image on a screen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The general numismatic market is strong right now. The dealers on the circuits setting up tables probably know and feel this more than anyone else. It's common to hear these days that their buying is tougher and inventory is moving quicker. I'm sure there are deals to be had, but you'll have to go table to tables to meet the dealers and see the individual inventories to find a few deals here and there.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tables are expensive at the WfoM. Accordingly, dealers stock their cases with higher valued merchandise to make the value-proposition more favorable. Especially if they have to fly.

Some years there are local dealers who can bring a bit more stuff. E.g. when the show was in Chicago, Kedzie Koins brought a dumpster full.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05