Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 Large Victoria Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 485Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  9:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1888 Large Victoria Penny. this coins looks like someone used steel wool on this coin. here is the images. why do people do that.

Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dystor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you are right. The coin is definitely cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that they think that they are making it "purdy"
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know, the lowly Canadian large cent is subject to all kinds of abuse - drilling holes, altering letters, remodeling the design, to mention a few. I've even heard that some people use them for golf ball position markers on greens. Can you imagine such a thing? My mind reels at the thought!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1549 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've even heard that some people use them for golf ball position markers on greens. Can you imagine such a thing? My mind reels at the thought!

Now I wonder who that might be ?
Oh I know- Ok------
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya, who might that be? When I was on the Exec Committee for the Canadian Open, I even gave out a few "polished" ones to a couple PGA players and 2 of my friends on the officiating crew.... they loved them and use them. Not many people can claim that they use a 160 year old ball marker. But I only give out the polished VG-6 ones.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being the lover of large cents that you are, Bill, I never doubted it!
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, just the slightest tinge of copper next to the Itchy and Scratchy show....thanks for showing the goods, sorry about the previous cleaning!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just got this one today 1859 Victoria penny
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like a 9/8. Is that just dirt/grime on the coin or an old coat of lacquer or other coating?
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a 9/8 to me. Would need photos out of the 2x2 to confirm which die pair.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2139 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sure thank you so much greatly appreciated thank you all.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has too much grit/grime to get a clear look at what the die pair may be. Is it RD10? I can only make out w weak D/C at 15.

Rocky, all your past posts where you tried to see/document something that wasn't there and you have a 9/8 and you posted this just as a '59 Victoria Penny. See if you can pick out any more D/C's and we can give you a Turner pair.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 485Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05