Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1811 Large Cent S-287

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 516Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
193 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  10:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to see what y'all thought about this coin. The downside is the scratches and they are asking $145. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
2665 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could not get past those scratches myself. Rather pay more for problem free example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2655 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2242 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1811 is a tough year because of the poor quality copper and I had to compromise on some I bought because of that. However, damage is a very different situation. It's too much damage to make it of interest to me at any price - just my opinion of course.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59470 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't live with it either.
Valued Member
United States
450 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would put the money toward a undamaged example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8263 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would put the money toward a undamaged example.

I do happen to know where there is a real nice mint state example in PCGS MS66 RB for only $126,000

A nice uncirculated one will run around low to mid 5 figures, an AU in the high 4 figures touching 5 figures, VF's are in the $5K range any thing less is low thousands, if nice straight graded.

Damaged or detail coins can be had in the $200-500 range often enough. But these are still rare, many serious Sheldon set collectors will get a low grade one to fill the hole only to upgrade when a nicer one finally appears in the market. Which isn't all that often.

Here is a CCF thread on one back in 2015, a really nice raw VG8.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=236257
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/19/2021 7:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1564 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is rather severe damage, so i'll join the other members in saying pass for a better example.

I'd rather have some light corrosion or granularity, but not this extensive damage.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would consider a rare coin with very minor damage confined to the fields. However, heavier damage or damage which extends into the portrait or design details I simply find too distracting. Just my personal opinion, though!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2242 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would consider a rare coin with very minor damage I'd rather have some light corrosion or granularity,

I agree with GERMANICVS and have compromised and bought 1811's with minor corrosion for a slightly higher price. Others are suggesting a problem free coin. I did get a PCGS VG10 but the price was around $400. Maybe I paid too much - I'm a collector and not a dealer.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
4077 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like it at all.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 516Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05